Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I was stupid and I paid for it...

• Please log in to reply

rrw4rusty

rrw4rusty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

My problem is, a few years back when I purchased my main development machine I made the huge, horrible, stupid mistake of just using the Administrator account as my account. It has bitten me time and again in more ways then I ever thought possible. More than once I’ve attempted to find a way to rectify this without having to spend a week completely redoing everything… I’m looking for a shortcut!!

‘Everything’?? Understand, I am not lazy, I’m a 3D animator/CG artist and my entire studio lives on this system -- I have well over 204 programs installed -- this is just the folder count in Program Files -- MS Office, Adobe and others have as many as a dozen programs in their respective folders. These all have user files in the user directory and I’m guessing entries in the registry which are tied to the Administrator user, perhaps links that will be broken and Lord knows what else.

Does anyone know how I can get the Administrator user to another user name without losing the setups and customization of all my programs as well as other things I probably not even thinking about.

Thanks!
Rusty

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello rrw4rusty

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

What kind of problems are you having?

We will need some more information
If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

ne0h

ne0h

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
ya i got it buddy but the thing is that administrator has his own privileges ..
u have lot of programs and i can understand how difficult it would be to loose those ...
well u cannit get all the programs that u have in the admin account ...
some common programs u will get...
at the time of installation ts asks during the set-up that u wan to install the software for the current user or all users..
if u have selected for all the users then no matter u create any accounts u will get that software...
u cant edit or sieze the permissions or settings from the regeistry so sorry dude this is what i can help