Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Monitoring (Fairly Advanced Issue)

• Please log in to reply

Learner87

Learner87

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am currently residing in a residence where all the internet access is through a single cable internet connection. I think someone might be monitoring this network which I heard is a fairly easy thing to do if the person has a degree in computer science which at least 2 people I am living with does. I basically have three questions.

1.) Is there any way to determine whether the LAN is being monitored.

2.) What type of information can be seen and collected if the LAN is being monitored. (I.E., Can this person see what websites I been to, what videos I am watching, and see my MSN, Yahoo, or AOL conversations, shared photos, shared videos, and webcam?)

3.) What are countermeasures to LAN monitoring.

I should mention that the LAN I am on is in a private residence so no one is legally allowed to monitor anyone's activities.

Here is a diagram of the LAN I am on:

[Incoming cable connection (internet) --> Cable Modem --> Router --> Switch]

Here is where things get intricate, there are computers connected to the switch as well as two enternet cables that are connected to another switch as well as another hub. Additional computers are connected to the second switch and the hub. There are about 20 computers connected by enternet cable all together excluding any possible wireless connections. All of the network equipment is residential, non-commercial stuff you can just buy from Best Buy. The reason why there is a hub is because the building owner is too cheap to replace it with a modern switch. Anyone, including me can easily access any part of the network physically (ie. have physical access to the router, switches, and hub).

I heard switches and especially hubs can easily be configured so monitoring is possible, is this true? How can this be done? Is there anyway to detect this?

Edited by Learner87, 22 April 2009 - 01:15 AM.

Advertisements