Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing a modem

• Please log in to reply

Naveb

Naveb

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
hello everyone,

when another computer simply plugs an ethernet cable into the modem to get internet connectivity (no network wizards involved) can that computer spread its viruses to my original computer which also shares the same modem? Today i have received countless trojan pop-ups and i was wondering if it was because of the other computer's internet usage.

these two computers just share the modem and its internet, they do not have any LAN connections.

thankyou.

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello Naveb

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

If they're sharing the same internet connection then they're most likely on the same network and it is very possible to share viruses if you're not protected. Please post a thread on the malware section and they can help you with getting rid of your infections on both computers.

Naveb

Naveb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
im not too sure if i am on a network. But if neither computers can share files which each other (they only share internet bandwidth) does that mean im not on a network, because that is my situation?

ive decided to reformat anyhow.

thanks

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Technically, it is possible that they are on a network, and I'm going to assume that they are if they're both wired in. You may not be able to see the net work cause you have not set the computers up to show the network, but that does not meen that the network is not there. In all reality, the entire internet is a massive network and if people know how to get into your computer they can if you're not properly protected.