Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista - Screensaveer won't work

• Please log in to reply

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello! I recently bought an external drive and moved all of my photos onto it. I previously had them on my C:// drive and had my screen saver use my photo's. Worked great when my photos were on my C:// drive.

Now, since I moved them onto my external drive the screen saver stopped working properly. So, I changed the settings to use a standard Windows screensaver instead. It's just not working at all. I changed the settings to one minute trying to see if it would start up and it doesn't. Screen Saver is just not working at all on my computer and I'm not clear why.

I have a Dell desktop with Vista. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ilovesharpei

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello ilovesharpei

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

There should be an options in the screen saver to select the folder that you want to use to grab the pictures from. Check out the settings and direct it to your other hard drive. If this does not work or if you're not sure how to do this then let me know.

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello and thanks for getting back to me on my issue. I have tried selecting the new F:// drive which is my external drive that holds my photos. I selected the correct file and set the time at one minute for my screen saver to come on and it did not work. For some reason, no matter what option I select whether it be my photos or a default WINDOWS screensaver (the program is just not starting up). If I set for 1 minute or 5 minutes, it just never starts the application. Very strange.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Heool, sorry about the delay in response. I'm in the middle of moving. My friend has a Vista machine and I will get with him tonight and see what I can find out for you.

GmanSman

GmanSman

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello:

This is a long shot but might be the problem, is your computer entering sleep mode / hybernate when you leave it alone for a while.

The reason why I ask is because sometimes a laser mouse or external device can trigger vista to come out of sleep mode or even clear screen saver mode or reset the screen saver metrics.

Basically the mouse or external device tells vista I am ready to work and resets the parameters which are 5 minutes back to less than 5 minutes . If this is occurring your screen saver will probably never come up due to this issue. In most cases its the device that has just been added.

To test if this is occurring.

1: set your sleep mode to the lowest time possible.
2: if your PC does not sleep within the time allotted than a device is keeping your station on alert

Test to see if this is the issue, let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ilovesharpei...

If you are using a wireless keyboard/mouse, this is a known issue in Vista. See this Microsoft Article for a resolution.

wannabe1

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you both for the suggestion to check my mouse (it is wireless). I will also take a look at the article and see if I can fix on my own.
Best,
Ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Bummer, none of the fixes worked. I downloaded the recommend file on Microsoft and it did not resolve the issue. I checked my 'start up' to see if the 2 programs they suggest were causing the issue but I am not running the 2 files they listed in my start up so that did not resolve the issue.

I did unplug my wireless mouse and found for sure that is the conflict.

However, with Microsofts supposed 'fixes' I am still not able to use my screen saver.

I guess I have to give up my wirelss mouse............................

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is it a Microsoft mouse?

Try a Logitech wireless mouse...that seems to fix the problems on quite a lot of machines. Bluetooth mice apparently do not cause the problems either.