Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD/ XP/ Myspace

• Please log in to reply

Reigning

Reigning

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all :)

Problem outline.

XP home edition sp1
happens rapidly in firefox, takes about 6 minutes with IE
ONLY happens with myspace

In firefox, as soon as I submit the log in details for myspace, I bsod, and pc restarts.
Sending error report always states that files are not found, and that the report is corrupted

In IE, i can log in, access myspace emails, even go on a myspace app, and after about 6 minutes, BSOD, restart, and corrupted error report repeats.

I've tried system restore, and uninstalling/reinstalling firefox, and rebooting my broadband router. Problem persists.

ORIGINATING SEQUENCE OF EVENTS:
This started yesterday afternoon. While I was surfing, my son flicked the switch powering my sky broadband router off. I switched it back on, waited for it to reconnect, and refreshed my FF browser to the home page. It gave me a dsn error stating that the homepage site could not be found. I closed and restarted the firefox browser. Same error. I restarted the pc, then opened the ff browser. Result. I got my homepage. Went to myspace. com... waited for page to load, added log in details, clicked submit, and the first blue screen happened. I tried to send the error report, but it read that the files required were not found, opened a ff browser page, which read that the file was corrupt, and recommended a system restore. i followed the directions for the system restore (taken back 3 days).

Tried to log into myspace using FF again. Same results. I performed 3 online virus scans, and the full, deep scan on my system using my antivirus, (avast home edition) each time, no malicious files, trojans, worms or software was found. I cleared the cookies, temp internet, uninstalled and reinstalled firefox. Again, bsod and corrupt error report. I scanned my graphics card, and updated drivers. Problem persists. i tried to access the site with IE, rather than FF, and was able to access myspace, but after 6 minutes, bsod occured.

Any ideas on what this could be, and or a possible solution?? The ONLY site this occurs on is myspace.com (home of my favorite myspace app, of course!!)

Thank you in advance to all who respond, or read :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We need to find out what error message BSOD is giving. To do this we need to turn off automatic restart.
Please reboot your system and on the second post screen start tapping F8. This will open a text only boot menu screen. Scroll down untill you have the line that reads "Restart Automatically on error" highlighted. Now click enter and make sure it is disabled. The system should continue to boot now. Once in windows and a BSOD occurs the screen will stay on the screen and allow you to completely copy down the entire error message. Post that error in your next reply.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloadedand run it
Put a tick in accept thenclick on next
Put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder then click next
Put a tick in create a desktop icon then click on install and make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed before clicking finish
Click Analyze ...
It will want to download the debugger and install it...say yes...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

Reigning

Reigning

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much for your time, and for your guidance. i will follow your instructions and report the findings post haste. Again, Thank you. :)

Reigning

Reigning

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
After following the instructions, I have the following information:

Windows Bluescreen error:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again and again, follow these steps:

Check to ensure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware fender for any BIOS updates. Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing, if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select Advance Startup options, and select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP 0x0000005, 0x004E3B7D, 0xF6E7A10, 0x00000000

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump compete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

WhoCrashed report:

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 23/04/2009 14:05:58 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: win32k.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x4E3B7D, 0xF76E7A10, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Thu 23/04/2009 12:59:46 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x74DD03C, 0x2, 0x1, 0x804DC353)
Error: Unknown
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Wed 22/04/2009 23:03:47 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x8F, 0x14141, 0x33C43, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

On Wed 22/04/2009 22:09:05 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: aswmon2.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8054C0B9, 0xB433281C, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswmon2.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: ALWIL Software
description: avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP

On Wed 22/04/2009 20:32:29 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x4, 0x2, 0x0, 0x804E661F)

On Wed 22/04/2009 20:11:25 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xDE (0x2, 0xE112CC00, 0xE112CC00, 0x3A9338C6)
Error: POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA

On Wed 22/04/2009 19:56:34 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8A2B37, 0xB449AB54, 0x0)

On Wed 22/04/2009 19:17:59 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x100000C5 (0x4, 0x2, 0x1, 0x8054BBB4)

On Wed 22/04/2009 17:48:20 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x14E0, 0x0, 0x0)

On Wed 22/04/2009 12:41:07 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x4, 0x2, 0x0, 0x804E661F)

On Wed 22/04/2009 12:32:04 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x7, 0x13A24, 0x28A69, 0x0)

On Wed 22/04/2009 12:27:21 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x4, 0x2, 0x1, 0x804DC353)

On Thu 15/01/2009 20:23:56 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xE11569A8, 0x1, 0xBF8A9484, 0x1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Thank You

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There are several different problems occurring with your system and all at the same time. Lets deal with one at a time. Please supply some info on your system

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

After replying with the above then I need you to do the following.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled "memtest86+2.11.iso.zip"
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory.

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 April 2009 - 08:42 AM.

Reigning

Reigning

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello there!

The machine is custom. I cant find where it reads what the cpu brand and model is.
In the system properties it reads:
Computer: AMD Sempron™ 2200+
1.51GHz 1.06 gb of Ram ( i know... im ashamed!!)
MIcrosoft Windows xp Professional. Version 2002 Service Pack 3
The motherboard: ASRock? (there are loads of names and numbers on this board.. that is the largest and was printed in the middle of the board)
There IS a PCI card being found on the board by the computer, BUT, it is not installed as I dont know what it is, or where it is, and the computer cannot find the drivers for it.

The memory is new -ddr 1g 330, and 255mb ddr

I ran the memory test for 2 hours, no errors.

Also, now when it bluescreens, the whocrashed program consistantly states that:
On Fri 24/04/2009 13:04:52 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x8F, 0xA229, 0xFF29, 0x0)

Reigning

Reigning

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Also, I'm unsure what updates took place befor the BSOD's started. I believe my avast antivirus updated (as usual, about 5x per day ) but prior to that, the only updates I found were to IE and XP security on the 17th of April, 2009.. standard windows update. There were no other changes.

I'm really hoping that I wont have to format. I bought the Adobe cs4 Mastersuite, and installed it on my pc. and the original discs were ruined (gotta love small children finding everything you try to hide!!) so when i format, i will lose those programs, and they're really expensive to replace!! ( they did the same exact thing to my Windows XP disc shortly after i bought that too!! - but that one is relatively affordable in comparrisson. )

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download CPUz from my signature below

1: Save it to your desktop.
2: Click on the icon it creates and let it run
3: I need the following information from it.
4: First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
5: Cllick on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
6: Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.

Please include in your next reply

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to
1: Start and then click on Run
2: Type in eventvwr.msc
3: Press Enter
4: On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
5: On left side click on System. Onright side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
6: Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
7: If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard
Now go to Start> All Programs > Accessories > Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your desktop

In your next reply attach the screenshot. If the file is to large then go to HERE and register. Upload the file and then post the link to the file tat will be to the right of the now uploaded file on mediafire.

Reboot your system and on the second post screen start tapping F8 to get to the boot menu.
In this menu scroll down to the line that states Restart Automatically on error and highlight it. Click enter to disable this feature.
Windows should continue booting at this time. When the BSOD appears it will stop and allow you to see the complete error. Please include that error in your reply.

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 April 2009 - 09:27 AM.