Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing a Hard Drive?!?

• Please log in to reply

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alrighty...here's my problem..I had 4 drives:

A: Floppy drive
C: main drive
D: backup drive ( I just used this drive to store alot of files, programs, documents, ect.)
E: CD Rom drive

I reinstalled Windows 98 SE and, of course, did not make a backup disk (didn't think I'd need it). I copied most files to a data cd and when it couldn't hold anymore stuff, I then transfered a few things over to my D: drive for storage. I figured it wouldn't be harmed because all I'd be dealing with is the C: drive. When I started in DOS, to format my C: drive, E: was not my CD Rom drive..I had to use the D:\ to operate the CD. Ok...I just figured this is nothing...just my stupid computer acting up....again. When everything was done and it went back to windows desktop...I did not see my 4th drive...which should be my backup drive. This is what I have now:

A: Floppy Drive
C: Main Drive
D: CD Rom Drive

I told my mom about it, and she said...it's probaly still here, but the computer just doesn't see it...like I have to find it for the computer so it knows it exist. I hope this is right....anywayz....Please help me...Is it gone????...Or is it still here...somewhere?????

MEll
:tazz:

Advertisements

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
It's still their, don't worry

Check your jumper settings. Are they set correctly? Also check to see if your mobo reconizes the hd on bootup. You can always see this by going into the bios. Finally, check to see if windows reconizes the hardware. you most likely messed up your jumpers, no big deal. Take out the hd, follow the jumper guide and set them accordingly to your master/slave settings. Is your cd-rom running on a seperate ide cable than your hd? Need some more details if it's anything more than just a jumper problem. Thanks

David

stu_design

stu_design

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
what happens if the backup drive was only a partition??

just a thought

stu design

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanx Technogeek8 for the reply. I will try your solution this weekend and see what happens. I hope my files are still there.

stu_design, I hope my backup drive is not a partition...I've read from one of my moms Tech friends, that if it is, then when I formated my C: drive, it also did that as well...I hope not.....but if it did, then I guess I'm out of a coulpe of files.. :tazz:

Mell
;)

Edited by LadyPisces, 13 May 2005 - 08:44 PM.