Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What causes this problem?

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Any ideas folks?
I've been "trying" to get my old desktop PC (XP sp3) back from semi-permanent retirement to use as a spare.
In doing so I have been doing defrags (it has 2 hard drives), disk cleanups, disk check for errors etc. and I have encountered a problem... :) Some redundant programmes simply CANNOT be removed!
I have tried deleting them via:
Start > All programmes > "programme concerned" > uninstall - where this is an available option (no luck :) )
and/or
Start > Control panel > Add or Remove Programmes (still no luck :) )
With one I even just tried to delete the programme file manually, by locating the programme file and selecting "delete" (No, no, no :) ) A message apppeared not allowing this!
I've run out of ideas :no: :) :)

ALL useful suggestions would be appreciated, the more simple to follow the better!
I'm not quite ready to tip a bucket of water over it just yet, but... :)

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 24 April 2009 - 11:28 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.
Please detail the offending programs as this will help us to find a solution.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I can give you some information, some not, as the PC is about 7 or 8 years old and the original (UK) manufacturer has ceased trading some years ago.

It is as follows:
Windows XP home Edition SP3 (Full Package Programme, NOT OEM).
AMD Athlon XP1900+,
1.60GHz,
512 MB DDR RAM,
2 x 80GB hard drives - master and slave, C drive NTFS 41.9GB free space; F drive FAT32 60.6GB free space.

No other relevant info.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to uninstall un safe mode. To enter safe mode start tapping F8 key as soon as you start the computer. A menu with boot options will show up. Choose Safe Mode and try to uninstall just as you did in normal mode.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Skeptic,
Hi,
I've just tried that and I got to Control panel, Add & Remove (in safe mode), clicked on one of the programmes I still want to remove and I get a window:
"Setup.exe
Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close..... " etc
with the option to debug or close. :)

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 24 April 2009 - 12:30 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Unlocker, using the list in my list below. Install the program. Go to Add/Remove programs and right-click the program you want to remove. Unlocker will show in the menu. Run it to delete the programs. If not successful try the same in Start > all programs.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks Skeptic,
I'll try that and report back later (maybe not today though).
Wrinkly

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Skeptic,

I downloaded "unlocker 1.8.7", installed it and then went to Add or Remove as you said, selected the programme to remove and right clicked on it - nothing happened!

So then I went to Start, All programmes, selcted the same programme to uninstall and right clicked on that.
The ONLY options I was offered was:
Open
Explore
Delete
Rename
Sort by name
Properties

I selected "delete" and a "Warning" appeared.Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to this computer. Do you want to continue?
Yes No
I selected Yes and the programme disappeared.... BUT It still appears in the list of installed programmes in Add or Remove Programmes and it still will not delete from there! :)

If I go to My Computer: C drive, Programme Files the programme is still there too, so the only place it has disappeared from is the list of programmes in Start > All programs! :)

All that has happened is I've gained another programme (Unlocker) :) :no: :)

I should add/make it clear that Unlocker DOES NOT APPEAR when I right click but it IS idefinately installed ok, as it appears both in the programme list and everywhere else it should appear.

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 24 April 2009 - 01:25 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What program are you trying to uninstall?

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
rshaffer61

Hi again,

There are several, but the current one (of many) that I'm trying to uninstall is just a Novalogic game, nothing critical to the running of the PC itself.

I'm trying to remove as many programmes as possible, so that I have less to scan etc, when I start using this old PC for some beta testing.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to download Revo Uninstaller 1.8. I never tried it but it looks promising and free of charge (if I understand corrcetly).

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Skeptic,
Will do, but I'm out of time now.
I'll report back later... probably tomorrow.
Thanks

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Skeptic,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I hadn't installed your link properly (which is why I didn't see Unlocker when I right clicked on file/program to delete).
Thanks - I can now delete.
The odd thing is... some of the programmes STILL appear!

I can check for a program by either:
1: Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs list.
2: Start, all programs, program names list.
3: My computer, C drive, Programs list.

It appears to be random whether a deleted program still appears in another list or not!
Judging by the pie charts in disk properties which show amount of free/used space, the programs have been deleted, but some still show up in any of the 3 lists above!

Really weird things these compooters! :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What program did you use; Unlocker, Revo Uninstaller, both? If you didn't run Revo I suggest that you do. When you remove a program some parts have to be uninstalled manually. Go to c:/programs and manually remove the programs folders.

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi again Skeptic,

I used just the "unlocker" you recommended. I shall manually delete the odds & ends as I find them.
I can't do too much now as I'm defragmenting the old girl. After all the recent activity I checked the F (slave) drive and discovered 2 HUGE red blocks of fragmented files (it's never had so many before). Several THOUSAND!!!
It may take some time to complete.... :)