Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

colette422

colette422

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

I've never installed a new hard drive before but for some reason I thought I would be able to do it. That was my first mistake. Anyway, here's my problem....

I disconnected the old hard drive, replaced it with the new drive and all I get is a blank screen with a blinking cursor. It powers up but nothing happens. Then I disconnected the new hard drive and re-connected the old hard drive and the same thing happens, powers up but the screen is blank with a blinking cursor. Right now it seems like I killed the computer. :)

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any suggestions to help me revive my hard drive, old or new.

Thank you,
Colette

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go:

My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be of some assistance to you.

First off I would like some more information:

The Brand and Model of the computer

and any modifications you have done to it.

If this is a custom computer

Brand and model of the motherboard
Brand and model of the CPU
Brand and model of old and new Hard drive (HDD)
Amount of ram and the speed of it
How many cd\dvd players you have
What brand and model number of Power supply you have

After you have given that information I will be able to figure out whether or not you have a compatibility issue.

As for the current problem:

Lets first try if we can do a quick reset during the boot strike the insert key repeatedly this may reset the computer and allow it to work again. If not:

Try to boot the computer during its first stages try to hit one of these keys repeatedly (Esc, or the F11 key) This will bring up a boot menu, See if your HDD is listed and if it is then set it to boot from it. It will attempt to boot from your HDD. This will only work with your old HDD.

As for the new HDD did you install windows or any other operating system (OS) on it?

The new HDD has to have this otherwise it will not be boot able and it will give you the black screen which you are receiving

Reply back with what works and what doesn't. Also whether or not you installed an OS

Good Luck

Cbarnard

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you so much for helping me!

The computer is a Gateway. It came complete from Gateway in 2002. It has never been upgraded and runs Windows XP.

256 MB Ram
40 GB Hard Drive
Pentium 4, 1.60 GHZ
CD
DVD
Floppy

I don't know who the manufacturer is on the components except the hard drive is made by Maxtor.

I wanted to upgrade the computer to buy some time so I could save for a new computer. So, I purchased a 1 GB Ram upgrade and a Seagate 80 GB, 7200 RPM Hard Drive. The 1 GB Ram was delivered first and was a breeze to install. It worked flawlessly. Then the hard drive was delivered and I opened the computer, unplugged the old hard drive and replaced it with the new hard drive. I turned on the computer and nothing. I've tried unplugging everything including the memory and then letting the computer rest. Then I decided to reinstall only the 256 mb memory and the old hard drive to get back to the originaly configuration and the old hard drive does not work.

I did not install the operating system on the new hard drive before installing it. I did not know I needed to do that. Honestly I thought I could just plug in the hard drive and do a clean install of the operating system.

I tried to reboot using your suggestions and nothing happens. Now the cursor doesn't even blink on the screen, the screen is just blank. I did troubleshoot the screen and plug it in to the laptop I am borrowing and it works fine.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your help,
Colette

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello Colette,

Thank you for more information...

Does your gateway have a model number on it?

This will allow me to check into complete specs of the computer

So, I purchased a 1 GB Ram upgrade

What was the type of ram in the computer originally?

If you can include all numbers from all the ram that would help me out.

What is the type you purchased, and what configuration?

As for the other problem:

Then the hard drive was delivered and I opened the computer, unplugged the old hard drive and replaced it with the new hard drive. I turned on the computer and nothing. I've tried unplugging everything including the memory and then letting the computer rest. Then I decided to reinstall only the 256 mb memory and the old hard drive to get back to the originally configuration and the old hard drive does not work.

Have you checked all connections from the wall to the powersupply?

And all internal connections from the motherboard to peripheral items.

If all the connections are good try to boot up:

Now make sure all fans are spinning.

There should be at least a powersupply fan, and a CPU fan.

If all fans are spinning then we will move on

Did the HDD spin up?

Is the computer still at the black screen with the blinking cursor?

I have another step to do but because I don't have the information I don't want to go further.

Please reply back with that information and I will give you further instruction.

Good luck

Cbarnard

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi!

I will answer your questions the best I can.

The model # on the back of the computer is MFATXSTL EL2500X.

The original 256 MB of Ram is DDR 266MHz, Hynix is a name on it as well as Gateway.

The new 1 GB of Ram is DDR 266MHZ, with no name on it but it was purchased at 4allmemory.

I've checked all connections and power supply. I've also checked the internal connections to the motherboard and peripherals even though I was extrememly careful not to touch anything.

The fans are spinning, both power supply and CPU. The hard drive(s) do seem to be powering up when I turn on the computer, but I'm not 100% sure.

When I boot up the computer, the screen remains blank/black. The blinking cursor is now gone. (I was concerned that the monitor decided to fail but I did troubleshoot the monitor by connecting it to the computer I am borrowing and it worked fine.)

I've also tried putting the operating system disk in the cd drive, didn't work.

After re-checking all connections and power supply I did yet another boot and just got a blank screen. :)

-Colette

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi Colette,

Could you please send me the model numbers of both HDD that you have (right off the HDD themselves)

I was trying to locate information on you computer but gateway is playing hard to get...
Somewhere on you computer is a serial number it is 10 digits (numeric) long
If you could please find it and send it in your next reply.

If you can't find it can you please look on your MOBO for the manufacture and model number.

While you are looking at the MOBO down in the lower right hand side there should be a battery.

Some where near this battery is a small jumper click here for a pic

Somewhere under or right near the jumper will be Clr CMOS if you don't see this please don't continue with the instructions below.(If you see something else written instead please let me know what it says on your next post)

We need to reset the CMOS

1. Shut the system down
2. Remove the power cord
3. Remove the CMOS Battery
4. Switch the jumper from pin 1-2 and put it on 2-3
5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
6. Let sit for 10 minutes
7. set the jumper back to pin 1-2 from 2-3
8. Insert the CMOS Battery
9. Insert the Power Cord
10. Restart the system
11. Enter the BIOS (press del or F2 "usually" during boot up)
12. Load Default Settings
13. set date and time again
14. Save Default Settings and Exit
15. Restart the System

The ram you purchased is the correct speed, is it in a 2x512mb (2 modules of 512mb each) configuration

try this and let me know how it works for you.

Good Luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 26 April 2009 - 12:11 PM.

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Cbarnard,

OK, here are the model #'s on the HDD's:

Old: Maxtor D740x-6L /40 GB
New: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 /80 GB

Serial Number on Computer: 00259907400
MOBO Intel Type D845PT (I think?)

I have been searching and searching the MOBO for the jumper and any writing about CMOS and I can't find anything. I looked at the picture of the jumper you linked and then located the button cell battery on the mobo but I don't see a jumper or anything written about CMOS. Any other hints you can give me on where it would be?

-Colette

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

IMG_0251.jpg

I snapped a picture of the mobo near the button cell battery, maybe this will help you to tell me where to look for the CMOS.

-Colette

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Ok I don't have much time,

On the bottom of the picture is the jumper it is labeled as "configuration" it is next to the round speaker(directly to it's right)

Use that jumper and complete this instructions from my previous post

Let me know how this works, I will be back on tomorrow

Good luck

Cbarnard

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

I've followed your instructions for resetting the CMOS up to #9. I'm hesitant to restart the system becuase I don't know how to reset the Bios and I'd hate to cause more poblems. :) Can you please give me an idea of how to reset the Bios before I proceed with steps 10-15?

Thank you!
Colette

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi Colette

Once you are in the bios there will be several sections of different settings. I'm not sure how yours looks.

But as long as you don't touch anything in there you will be fine. (the settings are not permanent until you hit F10 and yes to confirm)

Look around, you are going to see a setting that says reset(load) default values (this is the one you want to click "enter" on)

To change settings use the enter key:

To go back use the esc key. But once you are at the main screen of the BIOS the esc key will prompt you to exit the BIOS.

To scroll through the settings use the arrow keys.

Once you have selected reset the default settings look for the system clock and date. Set these values, once correct hit the F10 key and select Yes.

If you have changed any other values other than directed, please don't say yes. Simply go back to restore Defaults, and any setting you changed other than date and time will be changed to default.

Good luck

if you need more clarification just write back

Cbarnard

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Cbarnard,

Good news.....I followed your instructions and the third time I powered on the computer it booted. I made sure that I used only the old memory and old hard drive and sure enough Windows XP loaded with no bios adjustment necessary. I just had to the adjust the date and time. HOORAY FOR YOU!!!! :)

I was now wondering if it is possible to install the new hard drive now and if you can give me an idea of where I should start?

I can't thank you enough for bringing my computer back to life!

-Colette

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Cbarnard,

I wanted to let you know that I searched the forum and found instructions to install the new hard drive. I just made sure the XP operating system disk was in the cd drive before I shut down the computer. Then I disconnected the old drive and connected the new drive. I turned on the computer and XP started installing. I'm following the prompts right now to complete the installation so I wanted to touch base and tell you that I am on my way to a new hard drive install, all thanks to you.

I truly appreciate all your help and patience with me! You ROCK! :) :) :)

Thank you,
Colette

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello Colette,

I guess my first question now that we have passed the initial problem is:

Do you intend to run windows from the new HDD? Or are you going to use it as storage without an OS on it, and continue to use your old HDD for the OS?

If you intend to run it as storage:

with the computer unplugged, and both Hdd out of the case.

You will have to set the jumper to slave on the new HDD

Click for illustration here for the Seagate

The Maxtor HDD that will be used for the OS will have to have the jumpers set to "Master with Slave present"

Click for illustration here for the Maxtor (the box that pertains to your HDD is the second one down.)

(you will need two jumpers to set the Maxtor to master, but it should already have them)
most likely it is set to cable select.

Now place the HDD's back into the case and screw them in. (New one on top and the old one on the bottom)

Now trace the 40wire (the one that was plugged into the HDD) back towards the mobo, you should see a second connector plug this into the new HDD

Plug the connector on the end of the 40 wire into the old HDD

plug a 4 pin molex power connector into both and you should be able to reboot.

If it fails to reboot perform the Clear CMOS instructions again.

If you want to install windows on the new HDD and use the old drive as storage then just switch the HDD and jumper settings accordingly.

This also will allow you to remove any important data from your old HDD.

Then you can format over it and start with an empty storage device.

If you need any more clarification reply back, and I will help you further

Good Luck

Cbarnard

I just got your last reply to late I got the instructions for you anyways..LOL :)

Congratulations to you :)

As I don't currently accept Donations

Please consider donating to this site to better help others like your self receive the help we strive to offer!!

Click here for donation link

Edited by cbarnard, 27 April 2009 - 11:48 AM.

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Cbarnard,

I am making a donation right now. :)

Thanks so much!

Colette