Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seems to be too many things running in Task manager

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I right clicked on my task bar, and checked to see how many things were running on my computer, and there is 55. Isn't that more than normal? My Spyware removed the Vundo virus, now I am paranoid that there is something else on there that shouldn't be.

And I wondered why there is an Apple Mobile device that is running, is that necessary? If not, how can I remove it? I do download music from itunes once in a while, but I do not have an ipod. I just make an audio cd, never transfer things to an ipod. So there is an itunes helper that runs all the time too. Do I have to have that in my running programs all the time?
Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Vundo is not that easy normally to disinfect. I would suggest you

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 April 2009 - 05:45 PM.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I wouldn't worry terribly about it. In fact, I have 57 processes running right now. :)

Although, to be sure you're all clean, it would be best to follow rshaffer61's advice.

If you're worried about getting infected in the future, ask the helper on how you can stay more secure. They would be more than happy to help..

Also, those two processes are 100% legit. I'm pretty sure you can end them safely, but they probably won't do any harm if you leave them running...

Edited by piano9playa5, 24 April 2009 - 06:19 PM.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Vundo is not that easy normally to disinfect. I would suggest you

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Well, thanks. I had to do all those processes early in the year to get rid of that Antivirus 2009, so I know what you are talking about. And I run CA indusrtries antivirus/spam. Also do a Malware, and Super Anti Spyware on a regular basis. Even switched to Firefox, still got a virus.

Could you tell me this? I have just downloaded Proshow Gold software for making a graduation slideshow. After spending many many hours on it, it still isn't quite ready to burn. And after you burn it to a DVD, you can't bring it back to your computer and edit it again, just make an exact copy. So my question....if I run all those processes, will that erase that slideshow in progress that is stored in "MY Documents"? I hate to waste all that work.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not a malware expert but unless that particular file is in infected then it should not delete the file. You should bring that to the attention of the Malware tech before he or she has you start any work. If you want you can link to this topic and he can read what I have suggested first and that will help him or her to be able to protect that file for you.