Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Memory Question For Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"For example, on MY OWN computer I have a 150GB HD and only 3.5GB free. That's awful isn't it? Hopefully it won't damage the computer. I just need to get an external HD and spend a few days transferring files, to free up the internal HD. I just keep putting it off."

Now that is bad not only from a Tech stand point but you don't even have enough for virtual memory, swap file and page file to operate at the correct capacity. I would suggest doing some routine maintenance on your system also and soon. :)

If the other two are running correctly now and from you have advised they should be. Then I would suspect the issues with them are resolved. With that I would like to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Advertisements

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Oops, I forgot one question. I got another 512MB PC2700 in the mail the other day, Kingston brand, but one of the machines I'm going to be working on currently has a PC3200 512MB in it.

So, does the PC3200 go into slot A and the PC2700 go into slot B, or it doesn't matter? Just wanted to double check.

Thanks again and sorry for the extra question.

Hope you have a nice weekend, rshaffer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My suggestion is to put the 2700 in first slot. The faster memory will auto slow down to match.
Please let me know how this works and you have a great weekend also.
It's suppose to rain here all weekend. :)

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Cool, thanks. Currently, the 512MB pc3200 is in Slot A and a 256MB pc2700 is in slot B. I am going to upgrade their computer's memory some more tonight, by putting a new 512MB pc2700 in Slot A (per your recommendation) and a 512MB pc3200 in slot B.

1GB is about a 33% increase from the current 768MB they have. Who knows if a 33% increase will make that much of a difference?

It is raining here too. It's supposed to rain all weekend.

Good time to upgrade and fix PCs. :)

Edited by JeffM, 09 May 2009 - 12:57 PM.