Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Computer Freeze, Icons disappear, cannot connect to update s

• Please log in to reply

Kiyagura

Kiyagura

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I have been running into this problem which just randomly started over about a month or two ago after I ran into some spyware problems and removed them with a random spyware program I found on the internet. Now everytime I log into my computer everything runs fine and nothing happens. But when I wait about 5-7 minutes and I am on Internet Explorer it freezes up. I bring up the Windows Task Manager and use that to force quit out of it, taking me back to the desktop. When I see the desktop there is nothing there except a blue screen, all of my icons are missing and I cannot right click on it. My toolbar and start menu are still there though and I can use their functions without a problem (except when frozen). The only way that I found to bring my screen back to normal where I can see all the icons is when I go and try to open My Documents or My Pictures through the start menu. After I do that I can use all the programs and everything fine. Also I am a gamer who play's many MMORPG's that need updates and things from the virtual servers. But everytime I try to connect to the server I get an error saying "Cannot connect to virtual server please try again later" and its also like this with all the other non-game programs that I have on my computer. I have some other programs that I run suchs as: Steam, Warcraft III, and Beyond but I have no problems with them connecting to onine games. When I am in a game on Steam I try to open up Steam Community but all I get is an error saying "Program cannot display the webpage." Its like that with all the MMORPG's update windows that usually have advertisments in them. I could really use some help trying to figure this out so please if you can help me that would be very appriciated. If not then I can always get my computer wiped (trying to avoid that).

Thanks
-Kiyagura

Edited by Kiyagura, 25 April 2009 - 05:54 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may still have a infection from what it sounds like. I would suggest the you

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 April 2009 - 05:59 PM.

Kiyagura

Kiyagura

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay I think that fixed the Blue Screen but I still am not able to update programs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you post a topic in Malware forum? You may still have a browser hijack or homepage hijack.

Kiyagura

Kiyagura

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No I haven't yet I will do that right away. What should I include in the post though? Also can you give me the link to the page I can't find it.

Edited by Kiyagura, 25 April 2009 - 06:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click on the link in my signature below :)

Kiyagura

Kiyagura

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I posted a topic on there with my logs from Malewarebyte's and the OTListIt.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok let the techs do their magic as they are trained for just that. Once they have made sure you are clean then if the problem still is a issue we can continue here.

Kiyagura

Kiyagura

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I still have not recieved a reply from them yet but the problem still continues.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Be patient as they are busy in that forum. They will get to you and run a battery of scans and fixs if they find anything. You will have one tech helping you so it will depend on who gets free first