Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd internal HDD - Dev.Mgr sees it, Computer doesn't

• Please log in to reply

redbird14

redbird14

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Vista 32 bit home premium w/4GB, dual core pentium. Installed a 2nd internal drive. Vista found the drivers & installed them. Device Manager shows the drive as 'working properly'. Yet under 'Computer', I see my original C: drive, my recovery (D:) drive & the dvd/cd drive (E:). Can't find the 2nd internal drive. What am I missing here??

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you partition and format the drive yet?
I just had the same issue with XP and once I partitioned the drive and formatted it, then it showed up in My Computer

redbird14

redbird14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No...researching how to do that now. Will post how that goes as soon as I figure it all out.

My mistake was assuming Vista would assign a letter & the drive would appear and then I could format it and/or partition it. Last time I used a 2nd internal drive was win 95 and that's what happened. Instinctively, it doesn't make sense to me that you can format a drive without having an identifier for it but let me go through the help stuff & I'll see what I can find. Thanks for letting me know that formatting was possible without a drive id...never would have figured that.

redbird14

redbird14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Did you partition and format the drive yet?
I just had the same issue with XP and once I partitioned the drive and formatted it, then it showed up in My Computer

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. I was able to find the partition/format function & the drive is now completely operational. This is what happens when you do something once and then don't do it again for 10 years <g>.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem. It happens to the best of us also. I'm glad everything worked out for you and the best part is now I get to tell you, :) I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible