Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows updates

• Please log in to reply

elkslip

elkslip

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I purchased an E-machine about a month ago and I have the windows update to set automatic. However, several times when it shows there is an update available, and I accept the update, it will go through the motions, but at the end of it all no update shows. The next time, it will offer to update the same thing again. The latest update that keeps coming up is KB954430. It has shown "update completed" several times, but each time I shut down the computer it wants to update the same thing again. Any ideas?

I use Firefox Browser, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
Go there and download and install it manually.

elkslip

elkslip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. I followed your suggestion and the screen showed that the download was successful. However, fter I downloaded it manually, I did a search for KB954430. I found it shows that the file is on the computer, but the auto-update still wants to download the same file.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Click on the Automatic Updates icon in your system tray. Then choose Custom Install (Advanced)
Uncheck the box for the update you have already installed, and click on next.
Say yes, when a prompt comes up saying that you don't want to be reminded again.

And that is it. Windows will not ask you to install that update again.