Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble with Vista for Gaming, any help appreciated

• Please log in to reply

Zuriel

Zuriel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just got hold of a new comp and its being a pain, games just arent working and im not sure if the specs arent up to standard or Vista just hates me, I've heard a lot of horror stories but i figured they were antihype or something

I really dont know much tech-wise, i can find my way around most of the OS but ive never built a comp or done any programming :)

And for the record, tried and failed to run Team Fortress 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Dawn of War/expansions, Stalker, Crysis and C&C3, managed to run random smaller games like Worms World Party and Pariah but did have a bit of framerate issues and clipping/rendering problems

So I'll put the basic stuff below and if theres any important factors I've missed just say the word and I'll have a look

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.71GHz
Memory (RAM): 4GB
Display Adapter (I assume means graphics card): NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
C: 97.6 GB
D: 368 GB
E: 298 GB

Any help would be great :)

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Please check your Device Manager to see if your display drivers are installed. To do this, go to Start and type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Look for any red x's or yellow !'s

Also, check the Processes tab of Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to see if there's anything eating up your CPU or memory. Be sure to click the "Show processes from all users" button.

Zuriel

Zuriel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
nothing for either, everything in device manager looks fine and the system idle process is running at 99%

Do the specs sound like they should be running these games?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The system should be capable of running the games, although if you've got it on max settings you may have troubles.
Try setting the games to minimum settings to see if it works better that way. I'd also check your graphics card with a stress tester, but am not familiar with any (I have a spare video card that I use to test video).