Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive question.

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I've got a 1Tb WD hard drive that had an os on it.
I've wiped the entire drive clean using numerous passes with a good eraser.
I want to set up this hard drive as an external drive for my music, games, photos etc..
There is nothing left on the drive.
How do I set it up so that it can be used?
Thanks.
jst42day

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did you wipe it clean? You could have just taken out the partition and then repartitioned it and that would have been faster. :)
From your description I am to believe that this is a internal drive originally and you want to turn it into a external correct?
If so then you would need to purchase a external hd caddy like the one's here. You will also have to decide if you want it to connect thru a esata port or a usb port. USB will be slower transfer so keep that in mind when deciding.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I can use either USB or eSata.
And I used Paragon to wipe the entire drive.
How do I set this drive up so that I can use it for my music and games etc..
Do I need to buy a software program?
Thanks.
jst42day

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Software for listening to music or playing games?
That will depend on what system it is hooked to since the host system will have to be the one with the audio and video that your external will utilize.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
XP Pro w/SP3 for now.
Maybe Windows 7 in the winter.
jst42day

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will have no problem then. Windows 7 requirements will be able to handle what you are talking about. Does this system have a good video card for the games? Enough memory and sound card is enough?

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I'm installing an E8400 or 8500 cpu and either a GeForce 250 or 260 with 4g's of system RAM.
jst42day

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think you are covered with that. It looks like you won't have any problems then once you get the enclosure for your hd. Please let me know if there is any other questions I can answer for you. Let us know how the enclosure works also.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I still don't know what I have to do to set up the external drive.
Does it need to be formatted somehow?
Thanks.
jst42day

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have already Wiped the drive as you say in your initial topic statement then there should not be anything on the drive to view at this point. Have you installed the drive as a slave on your system and booted up with it to check and make sure it is cleaned?

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
There is nothing on the drive. I've used Paragon before and it does it's job well.
Is there anything I need to do to this blank drive so that I can store data and music on it?
Thanks.
jst42day

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope if the system sees it then it should be ready to use. Once you buy the enclosure and hook it up to the system then My Computer should show a icon listed as Removable Drive (Drive Letter)
The drive is ready to be used then.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thanks for your help.
jst42day

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible