Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slow, freezing and rebooting...

• Please log in to reply

Solar energy

Solar energy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi,
been running for a couple of days now, with most startup programs removed. System running faster and no lock ups or 'serious errors' since.

Haven't dared to sgtart adding them back in yet, as it is going well at the moment. But I will work though, adding them in over the next few days to see whether we can identify what has been causing the problem.

I will report back if I discover something.

Thanks
Graham

Advertisements

Solar energy

Solar energy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
One thing that I have discovered this week when running Superantivirus scan is a (multiple?) Browser Hijacker.deskbar .
Superantivirus appears to remove this but it has come back. Is this an issue?

Cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To find out what program is causing the issue you will need to add one startup item at a time and reboot. When you find the one that is causing the problem then we can continue. Once that one is found then just uncheck it again and continue on till you get the other entries either checked or found to be a problem.

Solar energy

Solar energy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi,
Still working through adding startup operations. Sorry for the slow response, the computer is not used daily.

recently came accross popcaploader (Dbar starter ??) detected by superantispyware and Malwarebytes, but both seem to fail to remove it after reboot. how do I get rid of this?

Also 3 times in the last week we have had message about 'virtual memory minimum too low - windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file' is this a problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
popcaploader is an infection
Virtual Memory increase is fine. That can be fixed once you are declared healthy by a Malware Tech

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post the required logs, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 May 2009 - 09:12 AM.

Solar energy

Solar energy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi there,

Sorry for long turn around time. I have been adding programs back into start up one by one. Nothing has crashed the system yet form doing that. I feel a little reluctant to add ther others back in as I can obviously live without them.

Removed one program from start up called Backweb 8876480 . There were two of these in start up and definately seemed to slow the computer down when running.

In the last couple of days I have encountered some blue screen crashes, suggesting soething not properly installed, though I have not purposly installed anything recently (AVG automatically installed a Yahoo toolbar recently).

Who Crashed provided the following:

On Sat 13/06/2009 13:32:34 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xE4ED0000, 0x0, 0x82A6C798, 0x1)
Error: Unknown
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Wed 10/06/2009 16:02:31 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xE2944000, 0x0, 0x82A92798, 0x1)
Error: Unknown
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Tue 09/06/2009 21:10:46 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: fs_rec.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF8A8466B, 0xA7C378E4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fs_rec.sys
description: File System Recognizer Driver

i hope this is helpful.

Poppcaploader now removed.

Another curious thing is that Windows media player does not work on my wife's log in, I even tried creating a new log in but it was the same. I have downloaded the latest version as I also have for windows search, which also dos not display properly on my wife's log in - on lod version search options did not display, on new version search options are restricted to a half cm box. very odd, but does this point to something elae amis?

Cheers

Graham

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As I stated in my last post you seem to have a active infection and until that is cleaned anything we do here may or may not help.
You never went to Malware Forum to be checked out there?
I see you had a malware topic opened in March but that also was never completed.

Solar energy

Solar energy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I thought the March one was sorted. The actions taken, as advised, cleared the problem, or so I thought. All scans ended up clean. And was then advised to post elsewhere about the stuff not working properly, which I have tried to do here.

I didn't post this time in the malware forum, cos the actions taken as listed got rid of the Popcaploader and it looked clean.

Happy to go back to malware forum, if you think that's best.

Cheers

Graham

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Remember that a Malware infection can hide and disguise itself as a legitimate process or program. I can understand how you might feel the issue has been cleaned but I would feel better as I'm sure you would if a Malware Tech actually went through and in the end certified your logs clean and your system healthy.
I want you to be sure that we are dealing with a Hardware, Software or infection issue. i will continue to monitor this topic for you. Please add a link to this topic for the Malware Tech so he can see the steps we have taken. This way he won't repeat anything while he is searching for a possible infection.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 June 2009 - 01:25 PM.