Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Windows Media Player playing films without sound

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

I hate Viruses!

I hate Viruses!

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there, I have about 20 films on my laptop in Xvid format that don't play in Windows Media Player, Quicktime or Real Player. When I click on them, it says 'Acquiring Codec; Codec Acquired' then plays the film with visual but no sound.

I guess this means I require a different codec, but I downloaded an Xvid codec (http://www.koepi.info/xvid.html) and no change. That may mean I still have to DO something with the codec but I don't really know. So do I need a different codec or if that is the correct one, is there something I need to do with it? It opens up a complex box to configure the decoder properties but I wouldn't know where to start.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as there are a lot of good films I cannot watch at the moment! (Kite Runner, [bleep] Boy, Russell Howard Live, Gia, Gran Torino, Kingdom of Heaven, I Want Candy, Munich, The Descent etc etc).

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Where are those movies from?

Edited by Broni, 27 April 2009 - 07:28 PM.

I hate Viruses!

I hate Viruses!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ask no questions, hear no lies!

Found the codec in the end so it's all sorted!

Cheers

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
In that case, we cam close the topic.