Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to duplicate a user in WinXP

• Please log in to reply

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hi,

I'm having trouble resolving this little issue - how to duplicate an already created and configured user account in XP (to create a new account with the same preferences / configurations). Followed some (somewhat vage) instructions I've found on the net, but it didn't work (I'm talking about Control Panel -> system -> Advanced -> User Profile: Settings and then Copy To....).

Any ideas on how it's done?

If anybody could recommend a good knowledge resource where I could read abut user accounts in Windows (NT based), that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SOADA

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Make a new account, log into it at least once, then use the Copy To feature from another account in the place you've mentioned, and browse to the profile to copy to which will be under C:\Documents and Settings.

Edited by Neil Jones, 27 April 2009 - 03:47 PM.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
So, do I need to 'Copy to' into the main account directory of the target account?
I've created an account ©, logged into it once, then logged into my admin account (a) and tried copying configuration from another account (b) into the new one ©c.
When I logged on to the target account after copying, it had even less of my default configurations than it had before copying. For some reason my Anti-Virus didn't start, etc. When I logged out and tried to log back on to my administrative account the logon screen malfunctioned and I had to reboot. So this method does not work, unless I'm missing something.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The method does work but a lot may have to do with the state of the account in question. If it's damaged or corrupt it may not be possible to copy it in this fashion, in which case a manual transferring of the data and settings is all you can do. Many things in Windows don't work properly if they're used in a corrupt account.

Just for kicks, make a third account and copy the second acount to that one and see what happens.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
There is nothing on my system that is corrupt (new installation, all working well).
Well, one exception - the corporation that's created it seems pretty corrupt, but you can't delete it without losing EVERYTHING.

So, I need to 'Copy To' to the C:\Documents and Settings\username folder?
I'd really love to know which files contain the settings and just copy those I wish to duplicate manually.

SOADA

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Found this, where it basically says: while logged on to administrative account, copy all contents of source user folder (c:\documents and settings\source_user) to destination user folder (c:\documents and settings\destination_user), except for:
  • Ntuser.dat
  • Ntuser.dat.log
  • Ntuser.ini
You need to create the target account and log on to it once before copying for the account folder to be created (they forgot to mention that). Although it may work if you just create the user and then create his folder manually before copying - should try that just to satisfy my curiosity....

Anyways - thatks Neil : )
SOADA