Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE slow to load

• Please log in to reply

markees

markees

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello there -
I was redirected from the Malware Forum. I recently had issues with web browsers redirecting google searches to random websites. That problem has been fixed, however, I also noticed that the browsers were very slow to open and load. If I remember correctly, this began around the same time as the redirect issue. I disabled a java add-on for firefox, and now it runs smoothly. But IE is still very slow. It takes about 20 seconds for the window to open, and another 20 seconds to connect to the internet. Once open, however, the internet runs fine, and opening additional windows is instantaneous. The issue is only when I first open the browser. I tried restoring the default IE settings, disabling all add-ons, etc, but the problem persists. I use Firefox over IE normally, so I am OK with IE misbehaving. But I still would like to know what the problem is/resolve it. Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to my thread on the Malware Forums, if it is helpful: http://www.geekstogo...ct-t234624.html

Edited by markees, 27 April 2009 - 03:48 PM.

Advertisements

lp098

lp098

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
i am no expert in software, i will let them go over it, but looking over you Hijackthislog it seems you are clean but you are never sure if your computer has a backdoor or the problem will come back. however wait untill somone from software helps.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please try running IE without any add-ons. Do this

* Go to Start > Run
* Type iexplore -extoff
* Press Enter

You should see a window like this:
Posted Image

This is only to test it. When you restart IE the add-ons will be back. This will tell us if it is indeed a IE problem or not

markees

markees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I ran the 'iexplore -extoff', and the IE window popped up after about 20 seconds. Was I supposed to do/modify anything?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope it does everything itself and that temporarily disables all IE add-ons and let's you run IE to see if it helps with the speed. Did you try IE after the fix and see if it worked?

markees

markees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I don't think it helped. IE still took a long time to open and connect. Once the browser FINALLY opens, though, it runs fine, but that was never the problem anyways.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
In left pane expand Computer folder.
Click once on Summary
In upper menu, go Report>Quick Report-Summary
Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Don't include anything under the line Debug - PCI

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 April 2009 - 08:28 AM.

markees

markees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Here ya go:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer MARK (Mark's Laptop)
Generator Mark Nilsson
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-04-28
Time 09:54

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name MARK (Mark's Laptop)
User Name Mark Nilsson

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium M 725, 1600 MHz (16 x 100)
Motherboard Name Dell Inspiron 600m
Motherboard Chipset Intel Odem i855PM
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (06/29/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 (32 MB)
Video Adapter ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 (32 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (M9)
Monitor Digital Flat Panel (1024x768)
Monitor Generic Television

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA
Disk Drive Hitachi HTS541060G9AT00 (60 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 53678 MB (8926 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Alps Touch Pad

Network:
Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Network Adapter Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (192.168.1.115)
Modem Conexant D480 MDC V.9x Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Dell Photo Printer 720
Printer Fax
Printer Intuit Internal Printer
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - USB Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device USB Printing Support
Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing I see that is a problem is this
"System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)". This is the minimum amount of memory to run XP not counting anything else. I would suggest doubling your memory to 1 gig. Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner. This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. If you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.
Second issue I see is this: "C: (NTFS) 53678 MB (8926 MB free)". Your HD space is getting down to the point where your paging file will not be able to run correctly. At 10% free space is the minimum for Defrag to run correctly.
My suggestion is to do the following steps in order and try IE after each step. The reply back with the result and if needed move on to the next step.

What I would suggest is uninstalling all programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to Start >> Control Panel >> Click Add/Remove Programs >>
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need >> Click on each Program >> Click Change/Remove >> Follow the Uninstall Instructions >>

You may be prompted to restart your computer, if you have the option, restart later if you have more programs to uninstall >> Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled. Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name.

Then do the following

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Install and run it. Auslogics is recommended by GTG and I believe it does a better job of clearing up free space for you then Windows built in defrag.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Reply with results after each step

markees

markees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'd rather not have to buy more memory. Besides, for the 4 years I've had this laptop, I've never encountered this problem, so I don't think additional memory will help. I uninstalled some programs, ran the auslogic defrag and then the ATF cleaner... but IE still opens slowly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /f
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem
If not then do the following

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /r
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f
Note... there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS... this can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 May 2009 - 04:49 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?