Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! My computer is messed up :(

• Please log in to reply

keepmeclean

keepmeclean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK, here is an update.

I still get the "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" error message, but now I got this:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom.
Select 'R' at the first screen to start repair.

I don't have the orginal CD, it didn't come with my computer. :) Does anyone know how I can get it?
Also, my screen is still fuzzy with the lines moving.

Thanks,
keepmeclean

Edited by keepmeclean, 30 April 2009 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Sorry I have been away.

Lots of stuff to do...

What is the brand of HDD?

Are there any disks in the CD rom or floppy drives?

if there are please remove them...

and reboot

What is the boot sequence order in the bios, it normally should be this:

1. Floppy drive
2. CD-ROM drive
3. Hard Drive

Then reboot did this work?

Double check power supply to HDD and the data cable(both ends) from the mobo to the hdd

maybe try a different molex connector to supply the power to the hdd.

then reboot

while the booting up the computer take a pencil and just touch the top side of the HDD (where the sticker is) there shouldn't be any parts that look like a computer chip. You should be able to feel the HDD vibrating

If the HDD is not booting up: I would have to conclude it is dying. Unless you remove it completely and slave it to another computer, and if it works correctly and consistently on another computer. then I would say you most likely have a power supply issue.

I hope this helps please get back to me about the info I need thank you...

Good Luck

Cbarnard

keepmeclean

keepmeclean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi.

Thankyou very much for continuing to help me! :)

The computer died the day after I posted last. :) :)

I took it to Geeksquad at Bestbuy and they said the hdd got fried and the motherboard is bad.

Unfortuntly, I wasn't able to save my data, so I lost 4 years worth of family pictures and data. :) :)

They couldn't recover anything.

Anyway, I got a new pc now. :)

Would there be anyway to retrieve my data; any secret special way :)???

Thanks,
keepmeclean

Edited by keepmeclean, 05 May 2009 - 10:32 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did Geek Squad tell you what was wrong with your hard drive? Most likely, if they can't recovery anything, it would be unlikely that you would be able to. I was following this thread, and was interested as to what would be the outcome. Do you have your fried hard drive?

http://www.myharddri...whitepaper.html
Read that, and maybe if the only problem is to replace a platter or a head you might be able to do it yourself.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard