Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unusual NTLDR error

• Please log in to reply

Veruca

Veruca

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Backstory if it'll help.

I have a Hp Pavilion 705w with all the standards except for some memory upgrades. I've had it for about 3 years and reformatted it a few months ago to try and make it run faster. (The last reformat with the disc I used today went through without issues.) My computer has been acting funny lately. Restarting by itself, running slow etc. Even though I did numerous virus scans and found no threats I thought it might help to reformat.

Problem

I start to reformat (as I've done a million times before) and for some reason instead of reformatting my C drive I stupidly deleted the partition. After that It made my hp recovery partition the C and the newly created partition D. IT wouldn't install like that so to solve this I deleted the recovery partition, which may not have been the smartest thing to do. After that every time I tried to install it would start the process then reboot and give me the message

" Press any key to boot from the CD.....
NTLDR is missing... Press Ctrl ALt Del to restart"

If I press quick enough it'll by pass this but it wont install it just starts the process and when it reboots it messes up every time.

I tried a few suggestions from this site like making a boot disc to fix it, copying the files i386 files from my xp disc, and changing it to boot from the CD ROM.

When I changed it to boot from the cd rom and by pass the harddrive it gave me the error

"Press any key to boot from CD..... Error loading operating system.

I think the reason I'm having so many problems is because I deleted the partition so I really don't have an OS to pick up fixes I've tried. They're all based around computers with an OS installed.

Also, my XP disc isn't giving me an option to activate the new partition. it's Raw with no option to change it. It wont even attempt to repair anything.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them because I really screwed my comp up and I'm completely lost as to how to fix it.

**EDIT**

It's fixed now. Thanks to those who gave suggestions. In case someone else runs into this problem, to fix the issue I had to partition the drive and format it with a Windows ME disc and then install XP. I have no idea why that worked but it did so I'm not complaining.

Edited by Veruca, 30 April 2009 - 04:24 AM.

Advertisements

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
this might be a little useful http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://gparted.sourc....net/livecd.php
Pick up GParted, and burn it to a disc. Boot from it, and format the drive you wish to install Windows to (format to NTFS or FAT32) NTFS is recommended