Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gets a blue screen UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error

• Please log in to reply

Razaille

Razaille

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi guys i went out to party during the weekend and when i came home, my laptop wont boot properly, after the windows xp loads it goes straight into the option screen where it asks if i want to start on safe mode, last known config that work or start windows normally, EITHER of those wont work it still sends me into this BLUE error screen telling me that a recently installed software or hardware may have caused this and on top it says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I need help guys...thanks in advance for any of those who will respond to this!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Do you have a windows installation CD or a recovery cd that came with your computer? You could boot to that and try to repair.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Try a fresh restall... worst comes to worst you might have to do format, but a fresh restall should fix your problem right up.

David

rgolsen

rgolsen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
could be this known issue:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315403

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok i will try to download the recovery console from windows and try to solve it then i'll come back with a result for you guys, im really glad someone helped! thanks!

Update: that download requires six blank floppy disks which i dont have, and i doubt it will work for me since the only windows cd i have is windows xp professional, it did mention that I cant do an upgrade, since the original windows in it is Windows XP Home Edition. Help guys.....I dont quite understand the solution to it, rgolsen got it right it is the known problem

could be this known issue:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315403

View Post

, can someone explain to me how to get to the recovery console? Well it is telling me to download the service packs which as far as I know I already did its on SP2 and it makes no sense since I cant even get logged in. Help Help Help.

Edited by Razaille, 10 May 2005 - 09:22 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You have a bootable windows install cd, xp home I believe? Can you boot to that? If so, you can try a repair. Here is a guide from this forum:
http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I would just reformat [bleep] the window bs.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
SEEEEEEEEMS that laptop also enjoyed a party :tazz: lolzq

russw

russw

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Razaille:

I had the same or similar problem on a client's Dell that had been deluged by ad-crap.

Maybe you've already found a solution to your problem and haven't reported back, but in the event that you haven't gone to the hammer heavy blow of an xp re-install and what I detail below is on point to your dilemna, then there's hope.

There are a couple BSOD "STOP... UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME (Sometimes DEVICE) error startup msgs.

The error could be caused by the following:
1. Loose data cabling for your HD
2. Damaged file system (my friends situation and likely yours)

Your solution does involve the recovery console which is just a kind of DOS level command line state; so when you get to this command line just use the old DOS "CHKDSK /r" command (hmmm... DOS still usefull).

Hmmm... now recalling the exact nature of the problem. You will need either an XP CD-ROM or an XP startup disk. I don't know if the XP boot floppy in the DL area here will help you get to a command line or not, but if it does have the chkdsk.exe file you may in luck, otherwise the install CD is your best shot.

If using the CD or startup disks, press "R" after the "Welcome to Setup" screen comes up. This will select the "repair" option. Hopefully since this is your personal lappy you won't need an administrator PW, so just hit the ENTER key.

Then change to the C: drive and use the "chkdsk /r" command and hit ENTER (there's a space after the "k") You can display the chkdsk /help for command line options, but the /r should work. After you get the command prompt back, type "exit" to get out of console mode and hit ENTER to restart your system.

Don't forget to boot to the HD this time. If there's still a problem, go through the same boot procedure to get back to the command line console and use the FIXBOOT command instead of the chkdsk /r.

BOL,
...russ

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Cool thanks but hey is there a way where i can get to the DOS prompt? coz i do have a windows professional cd and its not bootable, and btw my xp installed in there is HOME edition so theres really gotta be a problem with that. But yea i can get what youre saying and all but I really need to know how to get to that prompt so i can do the rest of the steps.

russw

russw

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just examined the XpPro OEM Dell CD I used before for the chkdsk.exe file. It is there but is a .ex_ file which I guess Xp expands upon loading.

Since you indicated that your CD is not bootable (hmmm... not original or you don't have your BIOS Setup options set to boot from CDROM) you can always just boot from an Xp boot floppy. In fact, I used a Win98 emergency boot floppy, and you then select the "boot with cdrom support option).

This will get you a dos prompt. Then insert your XpPro CD and run (your cdrom drive letter - probably D or E) d:\setup.exe. (you can do a directory search on drive letters to determine which one is your cd drive. note that the dir on the hard drive will likely yield an invalid drive specification msg, but a dir on the cdrom should show the setup.exe in the root directory. Hopefully you'll then get Xp setup up an running. Remember to use the repair option "R" to get to the console mode to run the chkdsk /r command.

Feel free to step in here if any reader can offer a correction or clarification as to this suggested procedure. I've only gone through this procedure one time about a month ago.
...russ

techroy

techroy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
If you still need assistance, I'll need a couple more info.
Can you tell me what cd's came with your system that may be OS or drivers related?
What is it's brand?model?
Have you checked if the boot sequence in the bios is correct?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Cool thanks but hey is there a way where i can get to the DOS prompt? coz i do have a windows professional cd and its not bootable,

View Post

Howdy:

Any legitimate XP cd is bootable.. the only ones I have found that weren't were pirated or copied.. Which is yours??

Murray