Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player on the Fritz

• Please log in to reply

Subzero_83

Subzero_83

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings to any eyes that view this,

I have an interesting question that I've been dealing with. I just got a nice new rig, and everything works smooth and easy. I have listed specs in profile, but for a short blurb my OS is Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit version, anyhoot, ever since I got the computer (lets say several weeks ago) Windows Media Player has been acting super crazy.

Sometimes it will start automatically upon Windows startup. If you try closing the program it will just keep re-opening, continuously. If you then try to see if it is functional it will attempt to play a song, one of the pre installed songs that come with the program, but instead of actually playing it correctly it will play it for 1 sec or so, skip to another song, and so forth. I'm confused about what is going wrong w/ WMP. I know that you can't just "uninstall" it because Microsoft has it as an embedded essential program, but what do I do?

I don't even use the program, I would rather use iTunes for my music player.

What should I do?

I have read that I could delete the HKeys for WMP? Is there anything else? I would like to fix this problem, because at times it ruins a Windows session, or several sessions in a row. Meaning it is making Windows unstable and not fun to work with at all. Worst case scenario wipe hard drive and start anew???

Answers???

~ Subzero

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Right click on the taskbar and mouseover Toolbars. Then click Windows Media Player (make sure it is unchecked).