Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer apparently hates me

• Please log in to reply

cloudfrevrr

cloudfrevrr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, I'm currently on to my second install of vista (last hd didn't like running an OS on it). Before everything worked fine, by everything I mean installs. This time around though it seems to be picky as to what it will install and what it won't. Games seem to be fine. Players seem to be fine. Itunes, Quicktime, Office (both microsoft and open) will not work though. I'd push my testing farther, but I feel that those three have decided to cause me enough hassle that I'd pop by for some assistance.

Currently each freeze. Office freezes as soon as I hit install, Quicktime and Itunes pretty much the same. OpenOffice unpacks and then freezes with a nice window telling me that it's preparing to install. I've tried re-installing Windows Installer, fixing up the registry paths, basically all of the steps I have found any possible solution for. Also, when I'm installing each there are 3 instances of msiexec running (OpenOffice shows 4...I'm tossing that up to the extra preparing window). Figured I'd toss that in since I've never had any issue before and never looked into how many instances are running.

When I go to cancel them they just stay open, no idea why. It goes through the motions of telling me they aren't done and am I sure I want to do this. I click "Go ahead and stop the install now because you aren't doing it anyways," but the install screen stays open til I end the process.

On a quick side note, I tried burning a DVD using windows DVD maker, it froze at 78.6 percent, well it stopped going any farther then in any case. Just realized that DVDMaker.exe is still running and no matter how many times I click End Process, it just won't go away. I figured it would be easier to hit two birds with one stone instead of two threads.

The install is the major thing though.

Thanks in advance for any help tossed my way.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
We know you are running Vista.

Can you tell us the following:

Amount of RAM (Memory) you have. (For example, 2 GB).
Processor type, and speed. (For example, Intel Pentium 4 at 2.4 GHz).
Get Event IDs and the error message. (Right click on My Computer>Manage. Expand Event Viewer>Expand Windows Logs. Click on Application. Look for Installer errors (Might say MsiInstaller).).

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 29 April 2009 - 09:14 AM.

cloudfrevrr

cloudfrevrr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
4GB RAM
Intel 8400 at 3ghz
There are a handful of installer errors

Biggest thing now is, just restarted computer again and now it's installing stuff, albeit slowly (in my opinion). I'm just gonna run some checks to see if an hd or memstick maybe has a dead spot or something. At least it's installing again. I'll post again if anything else happens.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Do you have exact Ids for at least two of them. They all might be similar errors. We just need at least two of them.