Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinRAR/Installation troubles

• Please log in to reply

M-star

M-star

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone. Today I discovered something that annoyed the [bleep] outta me and I want to fix it as fast as possible, and hopefully you guys can help :)

This is whats wrong:

I download a file, which is .rar. Now I have winRAR to open the .rar files, obviously. When I open the .rar file there's normally a program inside or something (When it's like trials/free programs etc.) which is .exe files.
Now when I double click it used to install the program, but now I get this message:

"WinRAR: Diagnostic Messages

Cannot execute [saved place + file name]"

I thought 'okay, let me try extracting it.' and so I did, but then when i tried to install this popped up:

"You do not have the rights/permission to do this" or something like that (I'm from Denmark, so I don't know what it says in english, also I don't remember the message fully).

I know I'm administrator, and therefore should have the rights/permission to do anything I wanted to do, like install programs etc. right? Then why does it tells me,
that I don't have the permissions to do this? And what should I do about it? I've tried re-installing WinRAR, but that didn't help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Where is the downloaded file from?

M-star

M-star

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No matter where I download from, if it is .rar file, and I open it up, trying to install that pops up. I've tried with 5 files or so.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried launching WinRAR with elevated permissions (right click on it and select "Run as administrator")?

Try downloading a RAR file to your Desktop or Documents folder and try extracting it there.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

No matter where I download from, if it is .rar file, and I open it up, trying to install that pops up. I've tried with 5 files or so.

Yes, it does matter. Please answer Broni's question.

Also, what is the name of the program you downloaded?

Murray

M-star

M-star

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The files were from a site called mediafire.com and the programs were different video-converters (you know, converting files, that couldn't be played in windows media player, into .avi .mp3 etc.) and sub-programs. (I don't remember if that was from mediafire.com too, but it didn't work anyway :) )

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

mediafire.com and the programs were different video-converters

If those converters are free, why not to download them from the maker site, if they're not free, that would indicate illegal copies.