Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apple Bonjour Question

• Please log in to reply

Misty M

Misty M

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

I have Apple Bonjour installed on my PC. I don't remember installing it and from I have found out it's an Apple program and I don't have a Mac I have a PC with Windows XP Pro.

Is this program harmful? If I remove it will it affect the performance of other programs I use? Is this program a form of Malware?

I did some Googling and found that this program is hard to remove & leaves traces behind. I don't want to cause an harm to my system's registry so thought I'd ask here before I do anything.

Thanks!

Linda in Vancouver BC

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
http://support.apple...iewlocale=en_US

Q. Why do I have Bonjour on my Windows system?

If you didn't install Bonjour for Windows manually, the most likely reason is that it was installed by an application that relies on Bonjour functionality. For example:

* iTunes uses Bonjour to find shared music libraries, to find AirPort Express devices for streaming music to, and to find Apple TVs.
* Safari uses Bonjour to find devices advertising web pages on your network. Many of today's network printers, network cameras, and wireless gateways provide a web interface for status and configuration, and many of these devices (especially network printers) now advertise those web pages using Bonjour, to make them easily discoverable in Safari.
* Internet Explorer, via the Bonjour toolbar plugin, also provides easy discovery of Bonjour-advertised web pages.
* The Bonjour Printer Setup Wizard uses Bonjour to discover and set up Bonjour-advertised network printers.
* Adobe's Creative Suite 3 applications use Bonjour to discover digital asset management services.

In reality, for most Windows user it's another drive-by-install, and unnecessary running service.
What to do about it: http://www.raymond.c...nsresponderexe/

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thank you! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In reality, for most Windows user it's another drive-by-install, and unnecessary running service. :) at Broni

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

In reality, for most Windows user it's another drive-by-install, and unnecessary running service.

<nitpick>
Actually, users have the ability to uncheck the option when installing any Apple program.
</nitpick>

:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's true.
I always urge people to use custom installation, but many people simply don't go this way...