Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Windows forgetting something?

• Please log in to reply

ampflex

ampflex

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
:tazz: I had posted a topic before on how the computer just starts up, displays the restarting setup screen and then reboot by itself.

Now I have gotten past that, to when the setup files are being extracted onto the computer. After completion of this task, it displays a screen which indicates it is going to reboot and continue installation.

Now, heres the new problem. IT STARTS EXTRACTING THE FILES AGAIN!
If it continually does this, how am I suppose to re-install windows? There must be someone that can help!

I hope somebody has come up with a solution for this. Boot disk? CD? Something?

Advertisements

thakid

thakid

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
ok you might wanna check for virus or something or check with a reg repair

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
is there any info on the disk that you need?

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i have now gotten past this step, to an installed version of XP Home. However, this is on another partition from the 1 I used before, now I cant get back into my files!! :tazz:

So that means im not using my old profile before the installation, and it denies me access when I try to access my files from the old partition.

Please help, I would even pay to get all my files back onto a disk

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
when you use explorer can you see your old profile ? if yes then copy
the profile to the new partition

thakid

thakid

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
n/m

Edited by thakid, 11 May 2005 - 05:45 PM.

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ill try that soon. For now, does anyone know how to resize the partition so I can try to transfer the profile to the current partition?

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
No, that does not work. It still gives me an access denied error! Thank you for your help, Is there any other way you might know of? :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
have you tried to access the partition by logging in as admin

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Yes. There is only 1 profile on the partition that windows XP is currently installed on. So I assume that I am Admin? Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this home or pro?

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Home

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In home, boot into safe mode, right click on the Docs and Settings folder, choose the old account(s) choose SHARING and SECURITY, then SECRUITY tab, click ADVANCED, click OWNER tab, select your new account in the box and check the box that says "replace owner....." click OK, OK, and you should have access.

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Is it possible for you to simplify that a little bit more? Thanks for hepling. I will try that when I at home and will let you guys know.

Thanks again mate :tazz:

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!! Im in!!! However there is another problem, which I must boo at. I cannot access the files and folders inside this profile!(Gives me access denied error) Do you have anymore helpful advice? Or anybody else that might be able to help?

I hope somebody can! Im so happy now that iv'e gotten 1 step closer to my first goal to get folders back.

Thank you so much :tazz: