Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did I Backup Correctly?

• Please log in to reply

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey there guys, here again with another question for ya.
well i installed a program called norton ghost 11.0 cuz i wanted to backup my system so i just used the option computer recovery or something like that so it took me like 36 minutes to bakcup my system so while the program was making a backup i saw how it was recovering my disk C: which is my principal disk and my other disk D: which is for games or programs so the principal disk will be C: then i saw how the program was making another backup for my disk D: and finally says succeded! so i went to my external disk to check my backup and there is my backup , here a picture:

Posted Image

So my question is did i backup everything right? or im missing my disk D:
like i said when the backup was on going i saw how it was making a backup for C: and D: so that means if i use that backup to restore my system it will be everything as it was before right? i mean i wont have to install programs again because i have some programs installed into my disk D: and the important files goes into disk C: u know that right so my point is if thats gonna be okay ? or is it gonna affect to my programs. :)

Edited by brady1988, 29 April 2009 - 07:47 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

so that means if i use that backup to restore my system it will be everything as it was before right?

Yes. If you restore a drive, it restores everything. If you have a problem, and you restore your drive, all the programs will work fine. I don't think you made a backup of your D:\ drive though. You are missing it.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thats what i need to know let me explain it to u , i have two partitions into my system C: & D:
now everytime i install a software i select my disk D: then my lets say my programs folder but for instance the main files, dlls or whatever this software has is gonna be installed into my disk C: otherwise the software wont run properly because my system and system32 are located into my disk C: and other important files which my system depends of .
Till here we understand what im talking about right? okay
now my point and question is the following:
if i backed up my entire computer which means my whole Disk C: when the program starts backing up is it gonna backup my files from disk D: referring to my program files or its just gonna backup my disk C: ?
now if its only gonna backup my disk C: what about the rest? my files from disk D: which belong to some programs installed into my disk C:

I need u to eplain me that , thank u!

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
can u answer me back pls.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Sorry for the delay.

Looking at your screen shot, it appears that only C:/ is backed up and D:\ is not.
Posted Image

Do you see the "Remedy: Backup now" next to the big red X?
Click on that and it should also backup your D:/drive.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

if i backed up my entire computer which means my whole Disk C: when the program starts backing up is it gonna backup my files from disk D: referring to my program files or its just gonna backup my disk C: ?
now if its only gonna backup my disk C: what about the rest? my files from disk D: which belong to some programs installed into my disk C:

You need to back up C and D.
Backing up just C drive will have no effect on what you installed to D drive.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Well okay i got that, now the other problem occurs when i try to rocover my disk C:
look what it says everytime i try to recover my disk C: meaning "restore" here a picture:

Posted Image

u see that it says and if i press continue it will scrub up it will not work, could u tell me what to do to make a good backup of my system without having these kinda problems, i will really appreciate it.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What do you mean by "does not work"? Does Norton Ghost give you an error message?

I am not familiar with using Ghost. I use Driveimage XML to create my backups.
http://www.runtime.o...veimage-xml.htm

Then to restore them in an event when my computer will not start, I use UBCD for Windows. It is a boot CD which has Driveimage XML on it. Be aware that you need your Windows CD to build the UBCD.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
You will find build and burning instructions on their site.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
as i use partimage for my backups

http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

i may not be much help but i do believe to restore the backups you made you need to be in dos not windows,
ghost will have an option somewhere to create a bootable floppy or cd to allow you to boot into dos

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Partimage is good. You can also use Clonezilla.
http://clonezilla.org/

Once you learn how to use it, it can prove to be very powerful and useful.

Advertisements

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
alright guys i appreciated everything u did for me answer me like this, but i would like u to tell me which one is the best backup software easily to understand and backup telling me how to backup my system my entire system so when i just click on it my system will automatically restore back again, thnx

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hoping u uys will answer me thnx. :)

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
did/have you made a boot disk with ghost ?

i can only speak for partimage, are you familiar with using a 'live' linux cd ?

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i dont really care what i have to use i just need to know how to backup my entire system and restore it back easily without problems, no offense im talking about this topic thnx.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
You need an . iso file to create a symantec recovery disk to get you into the recovery environment.

Here is a good tutorial http://www.whatsabyt...ost_restore.htm this should get you on your way. Theres also a tutorial on creating a backup