Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Personal Antivirus (Antivirus 2009) removed, but still blocking IE use

• Please log in to reply

handle

handle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear Geeks, Having had my 'puter at home infected with Personal Antivirus (the same thing as what has been called Antivirus 2009 in some of your threads), I was able to use Malwarebytes' anti-malware to get rid of it. However, whilst it is ostensibly gone - removed, and the PAV.exe thread is nowhere to be found - I am still getting the red "warning" screen (the one attempt8ing to direct the user to the site to buy the software) that blocks any internet use. Something must still be there. An email from the company told to uninstall it from a file in the Program Files/common files folder, but that goes looking for PAV.exe. Which is no longer there. What's happened here, and is there any way of fixing it? Please use small words and short sentences, I'm a total e-tard. :) (that's the perfect smiley for me here.)

Advertisements

handle

handle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear Geek Gurus, please regard this problem as solved. I reloaded Malwarebytes' anti malware (free version) and updated it again, without trying to open IE at all first, then ran it. That seemed to do the trick. Am now considering returning to study to become more computer literate - I want to be the first person to crack the problem of how to send actual horse crap via the internet to pop out of the CD drives of the people who write and distribute this stuff... great steaming piles of it on the carpet for them on Monday morning...