Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about RAM timing.

• Please log in to reply

Fenix Darkblaze

Fenix Darkblaze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm planning on upgrading my system's RAM very soon, and I've been trying to find what timing my current RAM uses. A friend of mine recommended I use PC Wizard 2008, so I downloaded that. This is what it gives me for my RAM:

Supported Frequencies : 200 MHz, 266 MHz, 266 MHz
CAS Latency (tCL) : 3 clocks @200 MHz, 4 clocks @266 MHz, 5 clocks @266 MHz
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 3 clocks @200 MHz, 4 clocks @266 MHz, 4 clocks @266 MHz
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 3 clocks @200 MHz, 4 clocks @266 MHz, 4 clocks @266 MHz
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 8 clocks @200 MHz, 11 clocks @266 MHz, 11 clocks @266 MHz '

Now, as I've been lead to understand, that would make my RAM timing 3-3-3-8, correct? Or am I reading this wrong? Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hello Fenix Darkblaze. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

It would appear that your RAM has three "profiles". One to run at 200mhz 3-3-3-8, one to run at 266mhz 4-4-4-11 and one to run at 266mhz 5-4-4-11. You can't tell from this information which profile your RAM is using (though most motherboards will default to using the profile with the loosest timings, in this case the 266mhz 5-4-4-11 profile). Note, however, that it is not necessary to get new RAM with the same timings as your old RAM. What matters most is that you get the same type of RAM (ie. DDR, DDR2, or DDR3).

To get better information on your RAM, I recommend you download and run CPU-Z and check the memory tab. It would be helpful to us if you could post back the information contained on the memory tab.

Fenix Darkblaze

Fenix Darkblaze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the welcome! I've installed CPU-Z and here's the information I'm getting from the memory tab:

Type: DDR2
Channels #: Single
Size: 512MB

DRAM Frequency: 245.6 MHz
FSB:DRAM: CPU/9
CAS# Latency (CL): 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 11 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 15 clocks
Command Rate (CR): 1T

This also brings up another question from me. Both CPU-Z and PC Wizard tell me that the memory size is 512, but from what I've seen on the Windows XP System page, my RAM is only running at 448MB. Why is that, and how can I fix it?