Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of audio after upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Dumanated

Dumanated

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey everyone. Just finished what I thought was a successful upgrade of a new video card and power supply. Got everything running but now realize that I have no sound. I have double checked connections and drivers but can't seem to pin down the cause. Here are my new system specs.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 420 2.21 Ghz
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
M2N-SLI Mobo DDR2
OCZ 600w PSU

I am worried it could be hardware related after this upgrade. Any advice I can get on troubleshooting would be great.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey sorry to hear about the sound loss..

My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be able to help you out...

I don't know if you have already done this here is the link to your audio driver updates(for win XP)

Install them and see if you have sound...

If you think the problem could be related to hardware try and uninstall drivers to the GTX 260, and reinstall the old video card and driver(it worked before)
I doubt it is this myself.

The power supply shouldn't be any issue

Did the sound get turned off in the bios?

is the audio jack in the correct output?

Push (windows button- Pause break) like ctrl-alt-del

then go to hardware > Device manager check to see if there are any yellow or red marks in the Audio section

Let me know how this works

Good luck

Cbarnard

Dumanated

Dumanated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Checked a few things again. Hooked up my headphones and a set of old speakers and it worked fine. It's the Sony tv it's hooked up to that doesn't seem to register it.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
What type of connection is it? If it is DVI then you will not have audio support.

you will have to use a different interface with the tv.

Good luck I hope this helps

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard

Dumanated

Dumanated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry for not replying earlier. The issue has not been resolved, but I have a workaround. It seems to be an issue with the TV rather than the computer. It plays through any other output I have tried with it, so I have simply hooked up my old speakers. The TV would be ideal (one less power cord to deal with) but I have not been able to find a solution.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi thank you for your reply back...

Do you want to continue to look in to this further?

Or would you like to leave this as is?

If you want to go further I will see if I can help you if not that is ok, I understand...

Good luck let me know

Cbarnard

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Are you using HDMI for this?

Dumanated

Dumanated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes indeed. It is HDMI.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's been a while so my memory's a little rusty, but there's a second cable that's supposed to take care of the audio...

Dumanated

Dumanated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes there is a 2nd cable though it was properly connected to the tv

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Let me think a little harder here, from memory the audio goes to the TV through the HDMI cable, so then the TV should have a digital audio out that goes to your speakers for audio output.

Is that how it's connected now? If not, try it and see if that gives you some success.

Troy