Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing license registered computer

• Please log in to reply

jenny d

jenny d

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, I am just completing my A-levels, and going to go to Uni in October. I'm going to get a laptop over the summer for Uni, but until then I'm still using my desktop computer. I want to install Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 on my desktop to use until I go, but I wont be needing it on that computer after that, and i will be needing it on my new laptop. However, I only have one of the three user licenses at my disposal (the rest are for my family) and I do not know whether or not I will be able to just uninstall it and then reinstall it on my new computer, or does this count as two licenses? Can someone please tell me if this is possible, because if not, I guess I'll just have to put up with the 2003 version until I get my laptop!

Thank you!

jenny d

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Technically "a computer" is "the person who uses that computer the most". Therefore in your case your computer and your laptop would count as one user - you.

In theory you can only use the software on three computers, in reality there's not a lot to stop you using it on four or more computers. The only thing I would say if you're going to give the licence to your friends and their friends, please don't as that's piracy.

jenny d

jenny d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for your help Neil, that definitely answered my question! I'll install and then transfer it to my laptop as and when I get it. I wasn't planning on giving it to my friends at all, as I understand and agree that that is wrong, but thanks for the reminder!

Thank you!

jenny d