Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install a program from xp to vista?

• Please log in to reply

gr8joel

gr8joel

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Heres the sitch. I am going to share my c drive from my windows vista. I will use my windows xp to install a program over the network on the shared c drive in vista.

Does anyone know if this will work?

sorry if it seems to broad of a question. :)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
If the install program is located on \\xp machine\c:$
all you need to do is access it from your vista to install it.

wherever the program that is to be installed is located, is the drive you need to share. you don't need to share the drive your installing it to.

make sense?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If you're able to install the program using the XP machine, then the program should run (permissions and sharing issues excluded) only on your XP machine. Even though it's installed on the Vista drive, assorted files will be installed to your XP drive (most in either the Program Files directory and the Windows directory). Also, the registry entries necessary for it to run will be in the XP registry. Finally, attempting to copy over the appropriate stuff from the XP system to the Vista system probably won't work because of the different security identifiers and other differences between the systems.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Ok Heres the sitch. The Program that I want to Install calls for a new driver to be installed. Xp does not require digitally signed drivers to install. However the Vista has this thing were when you try to install a driver that Is not digitally signed, then It wont install. So this is why I want to try to Try to install a driver on the xp machine (which I have already done) and some how copy all of the info to the vista. Im Not sure if this will work though.

Anyways dont worry about it guys,
I appreciate all your guys answers

Peace

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
It won't work. Even if you get it all installed, the installation will have references to the XP installation buried in it - and that will prevent it from running on the Vista installation.

As I recall, there's an option on the Safe Mode screen to disable driver signature enforcement. Maybe that'll work?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Easist way to do this:

Hit F8 during startup and select the option to turn off the unsigned driver
check. This is not a persistent setting from one reboot to the next.

Alternate way:
According to Microsoft, unsigned drivers are the cause of many crashes and other instabilities of the system. That is why Windows Vista crashes default installation of unsigned drivers. We will see how to override this check and simply install a driver not signed.

To disable the signature verification, just open a box Run with the keyboard shortcut Windows logo key + R.

Then type the following command and press:
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON

Restart your computer and then install your driver that normally was a problem before.

Once the driver installed, we will replace the signature drivers verification. To do this, open a box again Run and type the following:
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks OFF

You will have to make a final restart of Windows so that the command is taken into account. This method will allow us to install a driver really with simple ways.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
I tried the method where you run cmd (as an admin of course) and followed your exact intructions but it didnt seem to work.

The program i was trying to run was called virtual floppy drive which can be found @ HERE

For some reason I was being blocked but maybe its just the program.

Actually the drive did install, but as soon as i tried to start it, it kept on saying that it was being blocked from running. my firewall and antivirus was off too.

anyways if someone has a chance can they see maybe if they know how to get this to "start". I can get the driver installed , but I cannot get it to run. Thanks guys