Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost ethernet controller then video drivers

• Please log in to reply

musicmel

musicmel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
For a normal person to network one card is enough but I use starband for internet so the modem MUST be connected to the NIC card in the computer. To run a network you must have a second NIC card so all computers can share the starband connection. I hate this setup but there is no other way around it. As for the Liveone I have disabled it same problem. I have unistalled it also with the same out come. And yes the problem came back. I have a thought on this, but could be wrong. Is my motherboard going out?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's possible the MOBO could be going out. I am enclosing the instructions on how to test the MOBO in and out of the system. Please let me know what the results are.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 May 2009 - 09:26 AM.