Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP LAN/WAN Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

nick3411

nick3411

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, First off we have 3 computers. 1 Desktop (running XP) & 2 Laptops (1 running XP the other Vista) They all connect to the internet through a wireless router (D-Link WBR-2310)

Thursday Morning I tried to connect to the internet on the desktop. It was showing that the LAN had a low connection, and could not access the internet. I tried the two laptops, and the same thing. Later that evening, I was able to access the internet through the router on both laptops, but not the desktop. Around 10 PM I went to use the Internet on the Laptop with Vista. I was only able to make a local connection, not to the internet. Today, on both laptops, I am unable to access the internet, and make a local connection.

On the desktop, I tried repairing the LAN connection, which it wouldn't let me. I tried connecting to the internet through the broadband connection (WAN Miniport PPPOE) which we used to connect to before we had a router. It wouldn't let me connect, and kept trying to redial.

I unplugged both the router, and the cable modem for 5 minutes and then plugged them back in to let them "power cycle". I still have the same problem trying to connect with the desktop to both LAN/WAN and the Laptops to LAN.

I am, however able to access the internet on the laptop with vista plugged directly into the cable modem, and using a broadband connection, from where i am typing this message.

I hope I explained the problem correctly. Anyone know what the problem can be? and a Solution?

Thanks,
Nick

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
replace the RJ45 Ethernet cable between the router and the modem...
also the correct procedure for power cycling the router ...modem and computers is to power off everything...
then power up the modem...wait until all the lites are steady...aprox 2 minutes..
then power up the router...wait until all the lites are steady...aprox 2 minutes..
then power up the computers one at a time...checking between each to make sure its connected..