Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot uninstall IE8

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

I'm on Windows XP, IE8.

I wish to uninstall it, so I went to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and chose to remove Windows Explorer 8.

However, after a reboot it's still there, and I now realise that apparently you can't uninstall IE8 if you have SP3.

Add/Remove programs doesn't give me the "remove" option for SP3, and I'm unsure of the implications of uninstalling SP3 anyway.

Am I lumbered with IE8 forever now, or is there still a way I can uninstall it?

Many thanks in advance

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
http://support.micro...957700#fixit4me

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Managed to Uninstall SP3. Now I've tried about 50 times to click on the link above to uninstall IE8, but before I do it keeps on saying "Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close"; and the window closes.

A yellow icon has appeared in the system tray, it wants me to install the SP3 updates etc.

Seemingly, I can't divorce myself of IE8................................................

any suggestions before I re-install SP3...........????

Blue

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you restart computer after uninstalling SP3.
The error happens, when you try to click on my link, or on Microsoft page?

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yes, I rebooted twice. No joy. It happens when I click on the link....

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let me quote it then:

Steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003
To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1. Close all programs.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click Add or Remove Programs.
4. In the list of currently installed programs, click Windows Internet Explorer 8, and then click Remove.

Note If Windows Internet Explorer 8 does not appear in the list of installed updates, try the alternative steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003.
5. Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

Alternative steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003
To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:
%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
4. Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
5. Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well here I am at last. Had a complete nightmare!!!

Every time I opened a browser, then tried to click on something, I would get the error "Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close" and it would do this repeatedly, in an endless loop.

So I never got to read your last post!!!

However, a little yellow icon appeeared in the system tray to re-install the security updates and SP3 that I had uninstalled. So, I've reinstalled this, but explorer STILL doesn't work properly, and the above error message appears.

All my system restore points had gone, so I couldn't do a system restore. I tried to re-install IE8 again, but because of the problem I couldn't.

So, I had a brainwave, I've just installed Firefox, and WOW!!! It's SO FAST compared to IE!!!

AND it works perfectly, so I've managed to get into this forum now to type this message!!!

I obviously have to get used to the different features, but I'm sure it can't be that hard.

I'm SO impressed with the speed!!! It's like lightning!!

Or maybe I just got used to the slow IE8, which is why I wanted to uninstall it in the first place.

I'm an instant Firefox convert now, I wish I'd done this years ago.

I'm giving up on trying to fix my IE now, as I don't need it.

Thanks for all your help, but its Firefox for me now. I must say again its miles faster than IE!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I'm an instant Firefox convert now

Good for you :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You are going to need IE from time to time when you have to visit Microsoft's Update site for one. I would suggest doing a Custom scan for updates periodically so you can see what else you need other than the critical updates you get automatically.

If you don't like IE, try using Maxthon browser. It uses the same IE engine which, hopefully, is still there.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

You are going to need IE from time to time when you have to visit Microsoft's Update site for one. I would suggest doing a Custom scan for updates periodically so you can see what else you need other than the critical updates you get automatically.

If you don't like IE, try using Maxthon browser. It uses the same IE engine which, hopefully, is still there.

Ok, thanks very much for that. Re-installed SP3 and the security patches and still no joy. Firefox is still fine, and I'll also try Maxthon.

Thanks again.

Advertisements

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

This may sound silly but why can't I visit Microsoft's site from within Firefox???

I tried Maxthon, and was almost as slow as IE, and an important site didn't work, so I've uninstalled it.

Firefox is still working perfectly.

I'm still getting the little yellow icons in the system tray for Microsoft Updates, which I am installing as they arise.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

why can't I visit Microsoft's site from within Firefox???

Which particular site?

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

why can't I visit Microsoft's site from within Firefox???

Which particular site?

No, you are quite correct. I did a search on "Microsoft Updates" from within my Firefox browser, and went to the official Microsoft site, which then gave me a message saying that I needed to be running IE6 or above to search for updates.
So I DO need to find a way to do general updates that aren't notified to me by the yellow icons in the system tray....

One of my trading sites www.etxcapital.co.uk didn't work in Maxthon2, which is why I simply uninstalled it. The site provides me live, real-time prices, and live charts. Perhaps I could try the simpler version of Maxthon instead.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Maxthon is for just browsing those irritating IE only sites or the ones originally designed with IE in mind. As you found out, you can go anywhere on most of Microsoft's sites with other browsers, but when it has to do scans, validations or Windows Genuine Advange type stuff, you have to have the right version of IE.

As for Maxthon. It has a lot of features that are turned on by default for your protection. See if adding the site you are having problems with to the whitelist. Especially if the site sends you to an "https://" secure page.

Stick with Firefox, if you rather, and just tucked IE away for those times you need it. Opera is good, too.

Edited by Major Payne, 14 May 2009 - 06:09 AM.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi again

Using Firefox and Opera perfectly happily.

However, my IE8 still crashes as soon as I try to click on a link within a web page. "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I was wondering if anyone has a way to repair my IE8 (bearing in mind my IE8 is unusable so I can't browse any sites!). Maybe there's a command from DOS that I can try.

I did a web search in Firefox for "repair IE8" and it came up with loads of stuff, lots of it looks dodgy to me. I'm very reluctant to download anything willy-nilly from the internet, no matter how legitimate it looks.

Is there anything that can be recommended as safe and secure?

cheers