Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard keys are faulty

• Please log in to reply

jenny d

jenny d

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey! I have a Sony desktop PCV-W2/G - the one with the flip down keyboard. It is over 4 years old, and has just developed a fault with the keyboard. When typing, pressing some of the buttons causing neighbouring, or completely random buttons to also be typed, for example:
  • a types as a;
  • l types as ls
  • p causes the S-key for Mail to be pressed, opening up a new window every time - very irritating!
  • q causes tab to be pressed
  • s types as ls
  • x types as zx
  • z types as zx
  • ; types as a;
  • 1 types as `1
  • ! types as ¬!
  • the left and down arrow keys are both pressed when either is pressed
etc!

Is this simply down to dust build up or something more worrying?

Is there anything I can do about this?

I am not sure if I can simply remove the keys in question and clean them, as this keyboard is more like a laptop keyboard than a traditional desktop model, and is therefore a bit more complicated!

Any feedback or suggestions will be gratefully received!

Thank you!

jenny d

Advertisements

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
clean the keyboard, remove the screw and other stuff from the keyboard then reassemble it.