Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp laserjet 1020 - will not install. freezes during installation

• Please log in to reply

gdab

gdab

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

I previously had my laserjet 1020 printer installed but have reformatted the computer and now need to install again. I'm having a problem though.

Basically when I run the install file I get to the screen which reads “New printer detected. Please wait...” However it seems to 'freeze' on this page for 10 / 15 mins and then eventually changes to "Installation failed."

I've tried it 6 or 7 times but with no success. My cable is fine. Please help!

I have a Dell desktop, Windows XP and server pack 3.

I remember when I installed the printer a couple of years ago I had exactly the same problem when installed but unfortunately cannot remember how I solved it! I have posted a message on the hp forum but of course no reply.

Thank you for your help - much appreciated :)

Gord

Advertisements

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
do you have usb cable, don;t let ur usb connect while installing the driver......just follow the step on autorun driver installation from hp driver cd.

or

just install the driver for your printer and plug usb and power on the printer. while plugging the usb make sure ur printer is offline.