Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage going up and down.. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pteri

pteri

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've had my laptop for almost a year. I'm a big fan of Runescape, but recently my laptop has been lagging at roughly minute intervals. My Cpu usage normally hangs around 50%, but then shoots up to around 80% for a minute, then back down for a minute etc. When the CPU Usage is high, whatever I'm doing (be it Runescape, Age of Empires, any flash games) my laptop goes horribly slowly.

I've had a post in the Vista forum about my problem, where Broni has been very patient :) I've reinstalled Java several times (Runescape is java-powered) and upgraded my graphics driver, but I'm still having these lag spikes.

So I've been guided to this forum. I've attached the log files from the Rootkit Scanner and OtListIt.

I've got Kaspersky Internet Security 2008 and have scanned with MalwareByte's Anti Malware.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there and sorry for the delay - could you update me on your current problem please

To ensure that I get all the information this log will need to be attached (instructions at the end) if it is to large to attach then upload to Mediafire and post the sharing link.

Download OTScanit2 to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named OTScanIt on your desktop.
  • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
  • Open the OTScanit folder and double-click on OTScanit.exe to start the program.
  • Check the box that says Scan All Users
  • Check the Radio button for Rootkit check YES
  • Under Additional Scans check the following:
    • File - Lop Check
    • File - Purity Scan
    • Evnt - EventViewer Errors/Warnings (last 10)
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
Please attach the log in your next post.

To attach a file, do the following:
  • Click Add Reply
  • Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
  • Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
  • Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
  • Click on Posted Image to insert the attachment into your post

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Basically, the lag started around the time when Runescapes Graphics were totally revamped. (Around July last year) It was in the first few weeks of the update, and for some reason High Detail stopped working, so I tried to upgrade my ATI Radeon X1200. The installation didn't work, it just eventually said:
ATI Catalyst Install Manager has stopped working.

Note: The HD not working thing was just a Runescape bug, which was fixed the next day.

This was also around the time that I went from 2GB of RAM to 4GB. I MIGHT have bought it because I was experiencing the lag, but I really can't remember.

I've tried cleaning up my laptop in various ways, reinstalling Java, upgrading my Graphics card (which I found a fix for), scanned with SUPER Anti Spyware, Malwarebytes' Anti Malware, and I have Kaspersky Internet security 2008, which I have scanned with. All threats from those scans have been quarantined.

I'm out of ideas and still lagging.

On a brighter side, I've got the scan results :)

Thanks much, Pteri

Attached Files

Edited by pteri, 10 May 2009 - 11:11 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The logs do not look to bad - do you know which process takes up the cpu when lagging ? if you could open taskmanager and monitor the process and let me know which one is the culprit

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Java usually uses up around 30%, when its lagging it uses 50%+ (I suppose Java could be replaced with Opera, it depends what I'm doing - Runescape is Java-powered)
Svchost and avp rise slightly as well.

Here's a picture with two shots of Process Explorer while Runescape is running. The top one shows it running fine, and the bottom shows a slight increase in CPU usage. (They grey arrow shows where this happens - it would then stay level for a bit, drop back down, level, go up again etc.)

Posted Image

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Which flavour of IE are you using ?

As sometimes IE updating will spike it

Start IE.
On the menu up top, click on tools.
A drop down menu will appear, now click on Internet Options.
A box will open.
Under "Browsing" is where you'll find "Automatically check for Internet Explorer Updates" with a box to the left of it. Make sure that there is not a green check mark in that box
Reboot and then see if that cures it

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I don't seem to have any options about turning automatic updating on or off. I've got IE8.
I was looking in the "browsing" section under the "advanced" tab.

And I actually have several browsers, usually I will use Opera.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have just found a similar problem on the Runescape forum did any of these solutions help ? I do not think your problem is malware related though

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Unfortunately the link does not work.

I did find a thread a while back about someone who also had lag spikes since the HD update, but I never found it again. And I've googled my problem millions of times and no one else has it.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I must admit I am at a total loss here as there is no malware apparent and I do not play online games. As Broni found no solution I do not really know how to assist any further on this. I will continue researching but, at the moment I do not hold out much hope. As an aside did you install any other programme at this time that may also use Java ?

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Nope, Runescape is the only thing I ever run that uses Java.

Also, it is not just Runescape that lags;
HD Videos on Youtube
Age of Empires 3 (CD game)
Any flash games
Opening Files and Folders can take a long time, particularly after my laptop has been on for a while
Playback in Sony Vegas is Jerky and often skips frames

Edited by pteri, 12 May 2009 - 01:40 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I wonder if it may be a heating problem or memory. Methinks I may send you back to Broni ( I will give him a PM) But first I have re-read your original post and see that you had problems uninstalling Java and getting it recognised - did that get fixed ?

So lets remove all the Java and then reinstall

If you still have Javara then run it
Uninstall Java from the control panel
Then Delete all folders in Programme Files, System32 and Documents and Settings that relate to Java/Sun
Reinstall the latest Java and try again with Runescape

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yes, when I updated to the newest Java (which was fairly recently, way after I started lagging) then Runescape stopped working. Luckily there is an option to change the Java mode to "Force Sun Java," which makes Runescape work, so since then that's how I've been playing. Will go ahead and reinstall again.

Edit: Mission accomplished. Runescape and anything else now runs in the normal Java mode.
Still lagging though *pffft.*

Edited by pteri, 12 May 2009 - 02:24 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
IN that case I am definitely thinking hardware (memory/cooling) Repost in your original thread and I will give Broni a shout

Add this bit to your first post

Also, it is not just Runescape that lags;
HD Videos on Youtube
Age of Empires 3 (CD game)
Any flash games
Opening Files and Folders can take a long time, particularly after my laptop has been on for a while
Playback in Sony Vegas is Jerky and often skips frames

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.