Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Sound System Hookup Confused...

• Please log in to reply

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I moved into this new house, and there are speakers around the house and I was wondering how I can setup a device for the sound to come from those speakers. There's these 4 things in the wall by the TV and I took a picture of what it looks like could you tell me what type of cable I need for hook my tv and other devices into these outlets?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
How many speakers are there? If no more than 4, you will need to connect the speaker output from some audio amplifier device, such as a home stereo or theater receiver to these with good quality speaker wire. In other words, pretend those connections in the wall are on the backs of the speakers. I suspect one pair is for the front speakers and the other pair is for the rear for use with a home theater (HT) system.

If you are wanting to connect those to your computer, you can't do it directly - you need a bigger amplifier to power the larger speakers. But you should have a "line out" on your sound card that can carry the audio to one of the "line in" connections on a receiver, that can then power the wall mounted speakers.

If there are more than 4 speakers, you need to find the documentation for your setup, or have a home audio technician come in and sort it out. If more than 4, depending on the speaker and how they are wired, the load on a regular HT amplifier may be too low, causing over-current protection circuits to (hopefully) kick in before the amplifier goes up in flames!

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Well I have 2 speakers in the same room as those inputs in the picture then I have 2 speaker outside. I think all the speaks run into that wall plate thing in the pictures, then theres a dial on the wall that I turns them on.

Kind regards,
Cameron

Edited by CamTheMan, 03 May 2009 - 12:02 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Okay, then that is even simpler yet as there is only left and right, and not 4 channels. That means you need a stereo receiver or integrated amplifier (receiver minus a radio tuner) to take the small stereo output from the sound card "line out" jacks, amplify it, then send it out over the speaker outputs to the wall jacks. I am pretty certain that is correct because those connectors take bare wire, or banana plugs - commonly used for home entertainment type speakers.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Oh okay, great I'm glad that is what you needed to know. When you get the time, would you mind linking me to something I could buy to make this all work?

Kind regards,
Cam

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

When you get the time, would you mind linking me to something I could buy to make this all work?

:) All I know is you have 4 speakers. I don't know what you are trying to do, or what you have on hand to do it with.