Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Drive and Media Players

• Please log in to reply

adkron

adkron

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

My DVD/CD player does not work. My computer is a Compaq Presario 6040 with 513 megs of RAM. I can play a CD but not a DVD. When I try a DVD it appears the computer does not see it.

I also can not get Real Player or Widows Media player to work. I down loaded Media Player 11 and it won't play/ I tried to re-download it and I keep receiving this error message:

The web site declined to show this web page
HTTP 403
Most likely causes:
 This web site requires you to log in.
What you can try:
Go back to the previous page.

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the web page.
For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

Attempts to download other media players give me the same error code.

I have looked for more information for this error code and nothing I have tried works.

I have struggled with these problems for a while and tried a number of suggestions from another computer forum PC Pitstop).

No suggestions worked to get ride of the error HTTP 403 and I was finally told that my Drive was probably broken and I should try another.

Can someone here help me?

Thanks,

adkron

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reason for edit: Double Post

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 May 2009 - 04:44 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The server message is not uncommon and idicates a problem with the website and not your dvd player.
Go to the Free Downloads link in my signature below and try one of the free players there and see if it will work. Let me know what the results are

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
It sounds like your computer may be infected with malware.
But before you head to the malware forum lets fix your DVD/CD.

If a user states that their CD/DVD-ROM drive no longer is working properly, whether it won't read CD's/DVD's and/or won't burn, have them try the following:

Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
• Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
• In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
• Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
• Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your help.

II followed your first set of instructions. I.e.

“Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
• Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
• In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
• Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
• Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.”

The DVD- Drive I found was a Philips CDD5301, I uninstalled it and rebooted. On doing so my computer said it found new hardwar ti instal i.e. a Philips CDD5301. It asked if it should install it and I clicked install. It did so. I put in a DVD, went to My Computer and clicked the DVD Drive (E). The computer did not see the DVD and nothing happened.

I went to your second set of instructions. I.e.:

“Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.”

I followed them with these results:

There were no Upper or LowerFilters present so I closed Registry Editor and rebooted.

I again went to MY Computer and clicked my DVD Drive:

I was told that Windows Media Player was not installed properly and did I want to go to Microsoft’s web site and install it. I clicked yeas and went to their web site. When I clicked to install Media Player 11 the following happened:

The website declined to show this webpage
HTTP 403
Most likely causes:
 This website requires you to log in.
What you can try:

This has been happening repeatedly when I try to download Windows Media Player or any other Player.

I rebooted my computer and than went to My Computer again and clicked my DVD Drive. This time all I got was a blank page. Again this computer did not see the DVD or the Drive.

I thanwent to your last instructions:

“If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.”

I couldn’t find CDGone and even if I did I think I would get that error code HPPT 403 again on a download try.

So I am stuck. Thanks for taking the time to write down all these instructions but there seems to be a number of things that are wrong with my computer and fixing it is going to be tough, but I am willing to try.

Thanks again,

adkron

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

The server message is not uncommon and idicates a problem with the website and not your dvd player.
Go to the Free Downloads link in my signature below and try one of the free players there and see if it will work. Let me know what the results are

Hi,

I went there and tried a download. I received a HTTP 403 error when I tried. I don't know how to stop these 403 errors I just keep getting them,

Thanks,

adkron

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As HFCG stated in post 4 you appear to have a malware infection. A browser redirect or such could possibly cause this problem. I am not a malware tech so I can't say with any positive guarantee this is the problem. The only way to be sure is to:

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

I apologize for the typos in my response and for taking so long to get back. I retried the uninstall and on rebooting when the computer said it had found new hardware to install i.e. a Philips CDD5301 drive, I did not let it install it. I than put a DVD in my drive, went to my computer and clicked the drive. Three folders appeared i.e. audio, video, and jacket. I clicked video and a bunch of icons appeared. I clicked the first and the DVD started playing.
On rebooting my computr tries to install the DVD and if I let it than the DVD drive does not work.

My question now is how do I install one of the drivers suggested and how do I stop these HTTP 403 errors from occurring? They are blocking my downloads.

Thanks,

adkron

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi rhaffer61,

I went to http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html and clicked download for AFT Cleaner and nothing happens on my computer but a “click” sound. If I hold dowm the CTRL key and right click I get a menu that lets me Open in a new window which I left click. This takes me to: http://www.geekstogo...ner-file21.html , Once there I click open download AFT Cleaner and now matter how I try I get the HPPT 403 error, I can’t get beyond this. Is there a way to fix this so I can get to he download?

Thanks,

adkron

Edited by adkron, 06 May 2009 - 12:19 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can't download the required programs to run for Malware Removal then at this point i would suggest you backup your important data. I would suggest that you don't back up any of the following files:
Exe
Scr
Html

To backup your IE Favorites and Email Messages and Addresses please go Here and follow the instructions.

At this point the only advice I can give you is to do the above and then to do a full format and reinstall. Please let me know how you would like to proceed and I will assist in what I can.

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

I will do the backups. I have been using this old computer for a while and I have tons of Word, Excel and other files that I need to keep. I don’t know if I have enough memory sticks to back them all up, if not I will have to go get some. I live in a rather remote area of upstate NY and to get the sticks requires a drive of about 80 miles so it’s going to take a while. I can’t even follow many links without right clicking them and than opening them in another window. If I just left click them all I get is a “click” sound and go nowhere.

I’ll let you know when I get all this done.

Thanks,

adkron

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi again rhaffer61,

I should let you know that I also did the following:

I went to http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html and clicked download for AFT Cleaner and nothing happens on my computer but a “click” sound. If I hold dowm the CTRL key and right click I get a menu that lets me Open in a new window which I left click. This takes me to: http://www.geekstogo...ner-file21.html , Once there I click open download AFT Cleaner and now matter how I try I get the HPPT 403 error, I can’t get beyond this. Is there a way to fix this so I can get tothe download?

Thanks,

adkron

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The files you are referencing normally will not be very big. I have a Word file I'm working with that is 36 pages long and its not even a meg yet. If you have a 1 gig memory stick you should be able to get everything. If not then make sure you are getting full folders so that you won't have to work getting them back in the right place once you reinstall your programs.
As for the downloading I believe there is nothing you can do because the infection seems to be blocking everything at this point. I have asked a Malware Tech to stop in and take a look at what we have done and let us know if the suggestions I have given are correct.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Per Malware Tech Essexboy, He would like you to boot into safe mode with networking and go Here and download Atf Cleaner. If you can do that then go to Malware Forum and message him with your topic link in the and he will be happy to help you.