Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gagp30kx.sys hanging when in safe mode and in general

• Please log in to reply

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
problem is that I don't have a working computer nearby. My other computer currently has a burned out Videocard which I cannot replace right now (as i do not have the funds).

The only way I am able to access the internet/this forum is by booting through a live CD

Oh by the way, I found out my hard drive and my external hard drive had locked up (due to sudden crash/shutdown in the middle of it). How do I unlock it/unfreeze it?

Edited by StarD, 05 May 2009 - 11:56 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you try to backup the data there is surely a way to do this. However, my impression is that you are trying to salavage the hardware. Where I live very few AMD cpus are used so I have no great experience with them but I can share my experience from Intel hardware.

The fact that the CPU was pulled out of it's socket while attached to the heat sink is similar to a problem Intel had with it's 478 pin socket. This was rectified with the newer 775 pin socket which was depicted by happyrock in a previous post.

Regarding your new CPU: I can't give a definitive answer but I see a problem there. The motherboard was designed for an older, slower CPU (Sempron) and I am not sure it can run with your version of Athlon. Unlike memory modules which can be downgraded automatically if too fast a CPU is different. Even if the socket is the same it will not run on a motherboard which doed not support it's specs.

Had I been in your position, not wishing to spend more money, I would go back to the old CPU. Could you describe what keeps the CPU in place? there must be some sort of locking mechanism or, like they used to do with some older computers, the cpu was soldered to the motherboard and couldn't be seperated.

I believe that there must be a way to seperate the old CPU from the heatsink. The two cannot be welded because temperatures in the computer never go that high. Had it been reaching welding teperatures your computer would be up in flames before. I have seen cases where the thermal paste or thermal pad bond the cpu and heatsink very strongly. You have to use some plain, good ,old mechanics to seperate the two with a knife, a screwdriver inserted between the two or whatever. If you must use force take care not to damage the CPU. The heatsink is not so important because you have a new one. I believed that this can be done. If successful, then you have the CPU that you need. If not, then I am not sure what can be done to bring the new cpu to work with the old motherboard, except for BIOS tricks which may, or may not help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before doing anything else we need to make sure that we are not dealing with some kind of Hardware issue. Please follow the next steps and reply back after each test.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests

Once the memory test has completed then please do the following.

Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. Reply back with the results.
If neither test shows any problem then I would suggest you take the drive out and slave it to another system. then you should be able to access the data you need and back it up. After that then I advise you to format the drive and start completely over with a fresh install of XP.

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 May 2009 - 09:09 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Goo-Gone will remove the CPU from the old heatsink.

First off, I would pull the chip back out and verify there are no bent pins. As there shouldn't be since the PC does POST and you can load up an Ubuntu enviroment. If the chip was bad, the PC wouldn't POST, period.

If your Windows install is hanging on the please wait, it could be for a variety of reasons. What you can do is boot up via Ubuntu and check the setuplog.txt file to see exactly where it hung up.

It is located in C:\Windows, please post up the last few lines. Also, the bootlog.txt file located in the same directory will help troubleshoot was cause the machine to hang while booting.

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

If you try to backup the data there is surely a way to do this. However, my impression is that you are trying to salavage the hardware. Where I live very few AMD cpus are used so I have no great experience with them but I can share my experience from Intel hardware.

The fact that the CPU was pulled out of it's socket while attached to the heat sink is similar to a problem Intel had with it's 478 pin socket. This was rectified with the newer 775 pin socket which was depicted by happyrock in a previous post.

Regarding your new CPU: I can't give a definitive answer but I see a problem there. The motherboard was designed for an older, slower CPU (Sempron) and I am not sure it can run with your version of Athlon. Unlike memory modules which can be downgraded automatically if too fast a CPU is different. Even if the socket is the same it will not run on a motherboard which doed not support it's specs.

Had I been in your position, not wishing to spend more money, I would go back to the old CPU. Could you describe what keeps the CPU in place? there must be some sort of locking mechanism or, like they used to do with some older computers, the cpu was soldered to the motherboard and couldn't be seperated.

I believe that there must be a way to seperate the old CPU from the heatsink. The two cannot be welded because temperatures in the computer never go that high. Had it been reaching welding teperatures your computer would be up in flames before. I have seen cases where the thermal paste or thermal pad bond the cpu and heatsink very strongly. You have to use some plain, good ,old mechanics to seperate the two with a knife, a screwdriver inserted between the two or whatever. If you must use force take care not to damage the CPU. The heatsink is not so important because you have a new one. I believed that this can be done. If successful, then you have the CPU that you need. If not, then I am not sure what can be done to bring the new cpu to work with the old motherboard, except for BIOS tricks which may, or may not help.

Well the CPU is not soldered on it but I believe its just stuck on there really hard by the cooling gel (applied several years ago).

Before doing anything else we need to make sure that we are not dealing with some kind of Hardware issue. Please follow the next steps and reply back after each test.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests

Once the memory test has completed then please do the following.

Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. Reply back with the results.
If neither test shows any problem then I would suggest you take the drive out and slave it to another system. then you should be able to access the data you need and back it up. After that then I advise you to format the drive and start completely over with a fresh install of XP.

I'll see what I can do (I haven't done it yet) it should take me a while because there are a few things i'd like to finish before trying that right now. Oh by the way I don't have a second system which is a big problem =/

Goo-Gone will remove the CPU from the old heatsink.

First off, I would pull the chip back out and verify there are no bent pins. As there shouldn't be since the PC does POST and you can load up an Ubuntu enviroment. If the chip was bad, the PC wouldn't POST, period.

If your Windows install is hanging on the please wait, it could be for a variety of reasons. What you can do is boot up via Ubuntu and check the setuplog.txt file to see exactly where it hung up.

It is located in C:\Windows, please post up the last few lines. Also, the bootlog.txt file located in the same directory will help troubleshoot was cause the machine to hang while booting.

Where can I get goo-Gone? Also the C:\Windows log is below (I put it as an acronym because I think this post is long enough)

[acronym="
07/16/2008 22:47:10.984,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\userinfo.cpp,267,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\OOBEINFO.INI/UserInfo/Identity000=

07/16/2008 22:47:11.000,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\userinfo.cpp,267,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\OOBEINFO.INI/UserInfo/Identity001=

07/16/2008 22:47:11.000,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\userinfo.cpp,267,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\OOBEINFO.INI/UserInfo/Identity002=

07/16/2008 22:47:11.000,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\userinfo.cpp,267,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\OOBEINFO.INI/UserInfo/Identity003=

07/16/2008 22:47:11.000,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\userinfo.cpp,267,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\OOBEINFO.INI/UserInfo/Identity004=

07/16/2008 22:47:11.000,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\userinfo.cpp,267,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\OOBEINFO.INI/UserInfo/Identity005=

07/16/2008 22:47:11.015,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,3598,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_REGISTER

07/16/2008 22:47:11.015,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,4169,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_TAPILOC

07/16/2008 22:47:11.359,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,4139,,DISPID_MAINPANE_NAVCOMPLETE

07/16/2008 22:47:11.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,4139,,DISPID_MAINPANE_NAVCOMPLETE

07/16/2008 22:47:11.421,OOBE Trace,0,,GoNext: InitFrameRef

07/16/2008 22:47:13.000,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,4139,,DISPID_MAINPANE_NAVCOMPLETE

07/16/2008 22:47:13.031,OOBE Trace,0,,GoNext: InitFrameRef

07/16/2008 22:47:13.218,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,4258,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_LOADSTATUSITEMS

07/16/2008 22:47:13.359,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\api.cpp,999,,DISPID_API_GET_REGVALUE:

07/16/2008 22:47:13.359,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\api.cpp,1023,,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE\CKPT: TOS

07/16/2008 22:47:16.015,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,4500,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_GETAPPLCID

07/16/2008 22:47:16.031,OOBE Trace,0,,GoNavigate: CKPT_AUTO_UPDATE

07/16/2008 22:47:16.031,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,6046,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_AUTOUPDATE

07/16/2008 22:47:16.031,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\autoupdt.cpp,512,,DISPID_AU_GET_SHOWUI

07/16/2008 22:47:16.390,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\autoupdt.cpp,158,,CAutoUpdate::get_Acceptance - Already in scheduled mode.

07/16/2008 22:47:16.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\autoupdt.cpp,172,,CAutoUpdate::get_Acceptance - returning 1.

07/16/2008 22:47:16.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\autoupdt.cpp,326,,CAutoUpdate::get_ShowUI - returning 0.

07/16/2008 22:47:16.421,OOBE Trace,0,,GoNavigate: CKPT_DONE

07/16/2008 22:47:16.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\api.cpp,999,,DISPID_API_GET_REGVALUE:

07/16/2008 22:47:16.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\api.cpp,1023,,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE\CKPT: TOS

07/16/2008 22:47:16.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\api.cpp,963,,DISPID_API_SET_REGVALUE:

07/16/2008 22:47:16.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\api.cpp,987,,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE\CKPT, 0

07/16/2008 22:47:16.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\api.cpp,963,,DISPID_API_SET_REGVALUE:

07/16/2008 22:47:16.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\api.cpp,987,,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE\CKPT, TOS

07/16/2008 22:47:16.437,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,3578,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_DIRECTIONS

07/16/2008 22:47:16.437,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\direct.cpp,496,,DISPID_DIRECTIONS_GET_APPMODE

07/16/2008 22:47:16.437,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,3578,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_DIRECTIONS

07/16/2008 22:47:16.453,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\direct.cpp,496,,DISPID_DIRECTIONS_GET_APPMODE

07/16/2008 22:47:16.453,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,3697,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_FINISH

07/16/2008 22:47:16.468,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,3483,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_SET_STATUSINDEX:

07/16/2008 22:47:16.500,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,4883,,DISPID_EXTERNAL_SHOWOOBEWIN

07/16/2008 22:47:16.500,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,8571,,OobeBackgroundWndProc called PostQuitMessage().

07/16/2008 22:47:16.531,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,6893,,MainWndProc called PostQuitMessage().

07/16/2008 22:47:16.625,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\msobmain.cpp,2289,,RunOOBE - message loop finished

07/16/2008 22:47:16.656,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\common\cunknown.cpp,60,,FinalRelease

07/16/2008 22:47:16.687,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\common\cunknown.cpp,60,,FinalRelease

07/16/2008 22:47:17.109,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\common\cunknown.cpp,60,,FinalRelease

07/16/2008 22:47:17.656,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\oobe\msobmain\main.cpp,1141,,OOBE has finished.
"]Log[/acronym]

Ok so the acronym idea really didn't work out... let me attach it

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   4.7KB   254 downloads

Edited by StarD, 06 May 2009 - 05:44 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
please don't quote everything...the post becomes a bear to read..just answer....

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok...

So i tried to run that memory program as a bootable CD.

Unfortunately, for some reason it boots into the CD, then right after it boots into the CD, the computer restarts (aka the splash screen comes up again for the motherboard)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have to burn it as a .ISO image...go here ...third one down...Image Burn

Edited by happyrock, 07 May 2009 - 06:29 PM.

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I already burned it to a CD. (I know how ISO images work).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the bios...boot section...set the cd drive as the first boot device...then the hard drive...
nojoy...
look on the first screen you see when you boot up...look for press F 11 or whatever it says for boot options...

Advertisements

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I already set the CD as the first boot drive.

I already did all this...

I told you It booted into the CD then right after the program loaded up it just restarted.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets start with this...

Ok...

So i tried to run that memory program as a bootable CD.
YOU DO NOT BURN IT AS A BOOTABLE CD

Unfortunately, for some reason it boots into the CD, then right after it boots into the CD, the computer restarts (aka the splash screen comes up again for the motherboard)
THIS STATEMENT TELLS ME ITS NOT BOOTING FROM THE CD

then this...after I informed you it had to be burned as a iso image...

I already burned it to a CD. (I know how ISO images work).

I have no idea what you know and don't know...what I do know is when it doesn't boot from the cd drive and the bios has been set to boot from the cd then the cd they burned was NOT done correctly...or the bios is NOT SET CORRECTLY...one of the two ...period

I think someone else would be better helping you cause to me it sounds like your getting a attitude
good luck...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It never happened to me that I couldn't seperate a CPU from the heatsink. Try to force them apart (carefully) and clean the surface perfectly. I don't know what this solvent is and I don't think you need it.

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well i've tried that, but it never really worked (i am kind of afraid that i might damage it if I used some other sharp object. Would denting the top of the CPU damage it?)

I think someone else would be better helping you cause to me it sounds like your getting a attitude
good luck...

I was simply stating that I already made sure that i configured it right. I apologize if I come up as offensive, it was not intended.

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok so pretty much what Skeptic said is true.

The CPU i purchased was too "fast" or "advanced" for the current motherboard. I somehow managed to remove the old CPU from the heatsink (after a few hours of trying), reset the pins and worked on it enough that it could be fit back into the socket.

After I inserted it into the socket and replaced the old CPU, everything worked again as if it never had this problem.

I would like to thank those who assisted me in this, and I would like to formally apologize to happyrock for any offensive behaviors which I did not attend (I understand that I might have come out a bit harsh).

Thank you to the staff of Geeks-to-Go.

-StarD