Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD problems

• Please log in to reply

Bougs

Bougs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm having some issues with my computer and i've just run out of ideas to try and solve it. I will do my best to explain my problems....

I'll start with the computer- Its self built by me and has the following specs:

OS - Vista Premium 64bit
Mobo - Asus p5q pro
4gb ram
gfx card - ati hd4850
cpu - intel core2 duo e8800

I built it over a year ago and for the 1st 8 months I didnt have a single problem. what i believe may have caused the problem is this --> One day i had to check another hard drive on another computer, and save some information from it. So i decided to take out my C: on my self built computer and replace it with the C: from the other computer, then copy the needed info to a spare drive. This didnt work as intended and i had to reformat my original C: drive to get it working again. Ever since then, at what seems completely random intervals my computer pops up with a Blue Screen Of Death and gives me an error message with also seems to be random, no two seem to be the same.

Ive ran memtest86 to check to the ram for 4 hrs and no errors have come up. I've also added a new hard drive as my C: drive and check it for errors with no avail. All drivers and the like are up to date.

I've run out of ideas of what to do or check next! its about as far as my computer literacy goes! I know ive given a bit of a dis-jointed account of events, but if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very very appreciative!

many thanks!!!

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Bougs

Can you please supply us with the following information

Ram speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing

Can you also download WhoCrashed and provide a report in next reply

Who crashed can be located @ http://www.resplende...rashedSetup.exe ( Direct Link to download )

simply Click the "Analyze "button

Please post back the results from "Analysis "and below

Best of luck
&
Happy Computing

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 04 May 2009 - 05:49 AM.

Bougs

Bougs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok heres the extra info...

Ram speed - DDR2 6400
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA - DVD RW Sata
Hard Drive size and free space - C: 80GB size 17.6 GB free D: 600GB size 259GB free F: 300GB Size 300gb free
Any cards in PCI slots - No PCI cards apart from PCI-e GFX card
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started - No software/driver installations just prior to problems

EDIT to last post - CPU is the 8400 not 8800 as i stated

Analysis from WhoCrashed..

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 03/05/2009 19:49:23 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF70001080000, 0x28F22, 0x3125A201)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Bougs

Lets have your RAM tested ( This will involve opening the computer case , ensure power is off and all cords dis-connected while switching RAM modules )

Ensure you earth yourself to the case while touching any circuitry ( De-energize your body from any static charge you have accumulated )

then Can you run Memtest and test all RAM modules ( Individually )

Memtest can be found @ http://www.geekstogo...h...nload&id=11 ( Direct link )

Insert 1 memory module ( stick ) at a time , and run test for minimum 2 hours each ( overnight if possible )

Burn ISO , Ensure BIOS is booting up from Burn't image ( Cd/dvd drive must be set to 1st priority ) , Run memtest

Report back if any errors

Best of luck !
&
Happy Computing

Anthony19

PS: If you have any queries don't hesitate to ask !

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If the memory test passes, please zip up the contents of your C:\Windows\Minidump folder (it may be hidden) and upload it to your next post. These files may give us some information on what's causing the BSOD's

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Good Idea usasma

Anthony19

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Although Memory Management errors are most often hardware related, it's hard to tell which piece of hardware is causing it. Most commonly it'll be your RAM, but it can also be video ram, CPU cache, virtual memory (the pagefile on the hard drive), etc.

Due to the symptoms that you describe (this started just after working inside of the case) I'd wonder if there may have been a static discharge when you were working inside the case. If it was minor (again from your description that it doesn't occur all that often) then I'd wonder about the validity of previous memory tests. This is (again IMO) an issue that requires an overnight memory test - because a few passes may not stress the RAM enough to generate errors.

Since the memory dumps don't seem to repeat themselves, an analysis of them may reveal a pattern (probably inside the Stack Text) that shows a particular operation around the time that the crash occurs. In that case we may be able to figure out what sub-systems are involved in that routine - and it may help point to the component that's to blame.