Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my csrss.exe infected?

• Please log in to reply

Azrael2000

Azrael2000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All.

I'm here because I'm not sure whether there is an issue with my csrss.exe.

On my vista machine, a window was opened showing csrss.exe, and requesting it be added. Since I hadn't a clue as to what it was, I "X"ed out of it, ran Spybot Search and destroy, as well as AVG Free. Each of these is ALWAYS updated with the latest signatures.

The only thing I found were two trojans, which Spybot happily removed for me.

When I do a show processes, I see csrss.exe that I cannot "kill" the process on, which I read was a good sign in other forums. I can only find csrss.exe in the system32 folder, not in the dllcache folder.... I hate to say this, but I can't even find the dllcache folder! <And yes, I did do a show hidden/system files>

How do I determine if I am infected?
(I have copied the csrss.exe file from a work computer, just in case I need to overwrite it. Is overwriting a good idea?

Should I run Hijack This?

Does anyone know of a free csrss.exe cleaner?

Regards

Advertisements