Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage randomly high when playing game

• Please log in to reply

thejon

thejon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So I just moved all my stuff from college back home.

When I played the game in college, everything was fine because my specs are much higher than required. But at home, maybe for 5 out of every 10 minutes, CPU will shoot up to %100, slowing everything to a crawl and occasionally just giving me a black screen to deal with. The strange part is, the task manager tells me that different programs (often very light-weight programs like Launchy or Chrome) are taking up the CPU every time. When I end those tasks, another programs shoots up.

I've run scanners, registry cleaners, defraggers, and I haven't found a working solution.

Thanks for the help.

Dell Inspiron e1505
Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz
2 GB ram
XP, 2002, SP3

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
:) to registry cleaners.

What is your graphics card?

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 04 May 2009 - 03:53 PM.

thejon

thejon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, I just learned that from you guys.

Graphics card is an ATI mobility radeon x1400 with omega 3.8.442 drivers.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What are the game requirements?

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.

Now, start the game, and play it for couple of minutes.

Keep the game running, switch to Process Explorer window.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

thejon

thejon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Windows XP/2000/Vista
Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or equivalent
1 GB RAM
DVD-ROM Drive
4 GB Available HDD Space
ATI Radeon 9600 or NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 series video card or above
16-bit Sound Card
Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse
DirectX 9

As I said before, this has only started happening a couple of days ago, when I moved back home for the summer, so I know the computer can handle it. It usually even handles multiple tasks (including the game) quite well.

Thanks

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Here it's what we have:
Gw.exe 45.15% Guild Wars Game Client ArenaNet "C:\Program Files\games\Guild Wars\Gw.exe"
procexp.exe 16.50%
System Idle Process 17.96% (CPU cycles NOT used)
If we close PE, your CPU should still have around 35% of resources free, which should be enough to run your game.

Said that, I don't think, the CPU usage is a problem here.
Your on-board video may be too weak to handle the game (afterall, laptops are not really designed for gaming), or...
something is overheating.

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide two readings: while computer idle, and while playing the game.

thejon

thejon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I did not save the readings at 100%, I only waited a few minutes. But like I said before, when it freaks out to 100%, it will say that (for example) process explorer is running at 20-30%. So close it, and after I do, it will say Launchy is running 20-30%. After I close that one, it will say Digsby is running 20-30, etc, etc until nothing extra is running. Then it continues to stay at 100% because of System.

Idle temp:
Hd0: 39c (green check mark)
Temp1: 70C (fire icon)
Core 0: ~60C (fire icon)
Core 1: ~60C (fire icon)

During GW:
Hd0: 43C (red arrow pointing up)
Temp1: 70C fire
Core 0: ~78C fire
Core 1: ~78C fire

And also, attached is a report at 100% from process explorer

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Your processor max temp is listed at 100C, so 78C while playing demanding game may be OK, however the idle temp at 60C looks little bit high.

Then, Process Explorer log is interesting, because System Idle Process is listed at 0%, means CPU usage is at 100%, but I can't see visible culprit, because the main "takers" are procexp.exe @ 33.52%, and explorer.exe @ 19.89%.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).