Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive 'knocked out ' by virus?

• Please log in to reply

maxxart

maxxart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI All

Recently had a BSOD regarding a 'kernal stack inpage error'.

Rebooted and found that one of my internal hard drives (data) was not being seen by my pc.

Did a norton virus scan and found 'Packed generic 200' in my recycle bin. Deleted this file.

Downloaded Malwarebytes and did a scan in safemode...nothing found.

pc is working okay, but hard drive is not being recognised by this pc or any other pc that I have the drive attached to. it will power up and spin just not connect.

Do you think that I can get the drive to work again? Can it be uncorrupted? or could it be just faulty and the generic packed 200 is a coinicidence?

Any opinions really appreciated as the drive has lots of large premiere edited video that i would like to retrieve.

Thanks

Maxxart

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I think it is just a coincidence. Can you tell if the drive spins up? Meaning when you turn the computer on can you hear the drive turn on?

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
do u check on BIOS? Do the HD detected or not?

maxxart

maxxart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a sata to IDE hard disk adaptor which I used to connect it to other pc's for testing. When it powers up it spins, makes all the right sounds, just doesn't get seen by the pc...any pc. it is not detected in bios either. The HD is about 4 months old and has been working fine until now.

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

I have a sata to IDE hard disk adaptor which I used to connect it to other pc's for testing. When it powers up it spins, makes all the right sounds,

then check the cable of the drive, it might the problem. put that HD to the other computer with SATA cable and check.

In my opinion you should eject other hardware like CD/DVD, HD and only plug this HD now go to the BIOS and look for auto IDE detect or load optimal default setting. sometime its works