Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't copy/move files to network shares from VISTA

• Please log in to reply

woodson2

woodson2

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Can't copy/move to network shares
Hello, I have a Vista laptop that can no longer copy or move files to any XP/VISTA or Samba network shares. This was working at one time, but has since stopped. I receive the following error when trying to copy a file from my local drive. There is a problem accessing (path to local file) Please check your network connection etc..etc.. I have turned off the firewall and windows defender, network discovery in on and file sharing enabled(with password auth disabled). the workgroup is set correctly. I tried moving the files I want to copy to the Vista "public" folder and this makes no difference.. the files are very small 20-30kb so size isn't the issue.I've tried disabling UAC to no avail..I also removed Norton Suite from the machine....Like I said this just stopped working...(maybe after a windows update)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

I'm running Vista home premium SP1 32-bit

What I can do.
1.Create a new file/folder on the same network shares in question.
2.Copy/move a file from the XP/Samba network share to my Vista machine.
3. If I create a new text file on the desktop I'm able to copy as expected...strange but true..I looked at the permissions on the newly created file and they are the same as all the other files I'm trying to copy.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
It seems like an issue with the NT Algorithm that Vista uses. Its an updated version of the authentication used in XP. Early versions of Vista needed the UNC path (IP address) to navigate to network shares.

First thing I would try is to navigate via the UNC path as opposed to the machine name.

Any system changes, software installs on either machine? Check the event viewer.
Are you using the same credentials on both machines?
Are they on the same workgroup? (Im assuming your on a workgroup at home)

Edited by Cilix, 06 May 2009 - 11:44 AM.

woodson2

woodson2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

It seems like an issue with the NT Algorithm that Vista uses. Its an updated version of the authentication used in XP. Early versions of Vista needed the UNC path (IP address) to navigate to network shares.

First thing I would try is to navigate via the UNC path as opposed to the machine name.

Any system changes, software installs on either machine? Check the event viewer.
Are you using the same credentials on both machines?
Are they on the same workgroup? (Im assuming your on a workgroup at home)

Thanks for responding..I've been using the IP address all along to connect to the network shares. The shares on XP/VISTA don't require authentication. The samba share is using the same credentials.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you using the default Administrator account to authenticate to the Samba share?

woodson2

woodson2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Are you using the default Administrator account to authenticate to the Samba share?

No, I'm using the user I'm logged in as to authenticate(the user is an administrator). Does this make a difference, because it was working at some point..?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Sometimes using the default admin account will cause funky things to happen on Vista.

Have you installed any Windows Updates on either machine lately?

woodson2

woodson2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Sometimes using the default admin account will cause funky things to happen on Vista.

Have you installed any Windows Updates on either machine lately?

Well, the Vista machine is used by a employee I'm supporting and he has windows update turned on .....He's unable to give me a real timeline as to when it stopped working so I can try and correlate this with a windows patch. The problem copying isn't just exclusive to one machine or Operating system.....but one the one machine I'm extensively testing on is running XP pro SP3 and hasn't had any recent updates..

woodson2

woodson2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone...Bueller?