Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC freezes/crashes when i close folders

• Please log in to reply

wdp

wdp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi There,
this is my first post and i am not particularly knowledgeable about computers and the 'lingo', however i have a problem that needs fixing and has got worse.

At the moment the rest of my pc runs fine but if i open a folder like My Pictures, My Videos, My Documents etc they work fine but when i close them, my pc instantly freezes and i have to either use Cntrl + Alt + Del to restart or hold down the main power button. The pc is then as normal when i turn it back on, but still with this problem.
Before doing a system update, the problem wasn't as bad; when i closed a folder, the message that 'a problem occurred and windows has to close' (or something along those lines) came up and then if i pressed close now it would sort of refresh the screen and icons and everything would disappear as if it was turning off, but then would come back again. That was annoying, but now it just freezes or crashes and its very irritating!

please help

WDP

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Sounds like a Windows Explorer problem.

Do you have the XP install CD nearby? Place it in the CD/DVD drive. Do not enter setup. Just click the X on the window that pops up!

We will run System File Checker:

Click Start > Run. In the box, put in the following phrase: sfc /scannow
then hit OK.

Make sure there is a space in between sfc and /scannow.

If it ran through without interruption, then it fixed/checked for errors successfully!

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 06 May 2009 - 03:10 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Does this happen in safe mode?
http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm

Run sfc as suggested above.