Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window update error code 8007007B

• Please log in to reply

Mr Frustrated

Mr Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I can't upload the process monitor logfile. It's way too huge. Solely the log of a few seconds is already 37.5mb. Any idea how can i upload it?

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Start an account with one of the free, online file-hosting services and upload it there (I use http://www.box.net ).
Ensure that you share the file/folder and then post the link here.

IMO the most important times are between:
2009-05-15 08:31:11:480 and 2009-05-15 08:31:24:170 (about 20 seconds)

There may be some issues after that, but that seems to be the time where the error first occurs.

Edited by usasma, 16 May 2009 - 06:08 AM.

Mr Frustrated

Mr Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Alright, I have split the logfile into 2 section. Logfile1 shows the first section and logfile2 shows the second section.

Logfile1
Logfile2

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I see some issues with codecs and some issues with registry access'
A buffer overflow error (Catroot2)

So, let's try these 2 things first:
- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798 I'm particularly interested in Method 3 here (renaming Catroot2).
- then go to Start and type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and then right click on the cmd.exe that appears at the top of the search box - and select "Run as administrator".

Then type (in the black window) "net stop wuauserv" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Once the command completes, open up Windows Explorer and ensure that you've enabled the viewing of Hidden and System files
Then navigate to C:\Windows\Software Distribution - and delete everything inside of the directory (but not the directory itself).

Then go back to the black window and type "net start wuauserv" (without the quotes) and press Enter. This will start the Windows Update service. Once that command completes, go back and check for Windows Updates. It should take longer this time (because the history is gone), but it "should" work (if my theory that it's Catroot2 corruption is correct). The Software Distribution cleaning is just a hunch on my part and it may not be related.

Mr Frustrated

Mr Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am sorry but isn't the method 3 (renaming catroot2) is only applicable by window xp and server 2003 as stated in the website? I am currently using a 32bits vista basic home edition.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I'll admit that I haven't used this method with Vista, but don't see any harm with it (I have used the Software Distribution fix on Vista tho'). The article doesn't even reference Vista, so I suspect it hasn't been updated for it. I suspect that the "XP only" designation is due to some changes between the previous versions of Windows and WinXP/Server2003.

Renaming the directory will prevent it from being deleted - and, if needs be, you can simply delete any new one and re-rename the old one back to Catroot2.

If you're concerned, you can also move the .tmp files (rather than deleting them) in the Catroot folder. That way, if they're needed, you can easily move them back to the Catroot folder.

Mr Frustrated

Mr Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have followed every steps of your instruction but the problem still persist, showing the same error code.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I'm at a loss here. I'd suggest that you open up a support request with Microsoft. The instructions are about 1/2 way down on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193385

If possible, could you post the results of your discussions with Microsoft? It'll help others who come searching for assistance with these errors.
Thanks and good luck!

Mr Frustrated

Mr Frustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OMG! Another odd thing just happened. When i tried to check for updates again, to my surprise, KB937287 is no longer in the list. Instead, 2 new updates came out, i.e. kb936330 and kb960544. I managed to installed kb936330 but the kb960544 failed to installed with the same error code as the previous one.

Edited by Mr Frustrated, 19 May 2009 - 08:19 PM.