Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have lost all audio

• Please log in to reply

bigtimmy

bigtimmy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Gday.

I came home a few nights ago and found that for some reason i had lost all sound on my computer. I recently(around 3 months ago) installed a new sound card into my computer: Creative Soundblaster X-fi Xtreme Audio sound card(Not PCI Express). It has worked a charm up until 2 days ago. Everything seem 2 be in complete working order the only thing i can think is wrong is that the jack is broken(god knows why i haven't touched it).

According to my computer the drivers are all up to date(and i have just uninstalled and re updated them) and the device is working properly. It is set as the default device for everything in my sound and audio devices. My sound is at full and my headset is turned on full. i head faint static at the moment.

if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

Advertisements

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
try to change the slot for the card, if that not work then ur card is damaged try to used onboard sound

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

try to change the slot for the card, if that not work then ur card is damaged try to used onboard sound

That's doesn't necessarily follow.

What's your entire signal flow - from computer to headset - are you connecting the H/S straight into the S/B output port?

Check that the volume isn't turned down/muted in Windows

Check all your plugs/cables/leads for damage

Substitute a pair of speakers, or headset that you know is working.

If none of that gets you anywhere, then yes, remove the S/B and run your H/S straight from the onboard chip (socket on motherboard backplate)

It's a process of elimination.